Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Maybe Globe Thistle

#NatureTwinning Part 66

This loose sleeveless blouse with a tie-neck and a small peplum at the bottom was hard to resist for $10.  I'd actually ordered it several months before (at a somewhat higher price) but it sold out.  So when I saw it back up on the JCP website, I tried it again.  Sleeveless is perfect for wearing under a long-sleeved cardigan in the warm (not yet hot) season, and also works extremely well with a short-sleeved cardigan later on...as demonstrated in these two outfits.

*Black/aqua/pink floral sleeveless blouse (JCP), $9.79

Wednesday, 5/30/18

My absolute first instinct was to pair it with this dark teal cardigan that has rather tight sleeves (hence it is best suited to a sleeveless shirt) so I don't wear it as much as I'd like these days.  But with a sleeveless bottom layer, it was very comfortable as well as dramatic and took center scene worn with a black knit pencil skirt.

OCPW: $13.18


Wednesday, 6/20/18

This outfit has a bit more going on with the gold/purple medallion necklace and leopard print shoes.  The subtle dark heathered print on the purple skirt was a nice print mix with the bold, watercolor-looking floral pattern.

OCPW: $10.91


"Maybe globe thistle" was as close as I could come to identifying this silky/spiky pom-pom-headed purple-blue flower.

Los Angeles Arboretum

In other news...I had to wait about 2.5 months for my hold on Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman as an e-book from my library to come through, but it was well worth the wait.  When I started reading this book, I really didn't want to put it down...which is actually a very rare experience for me.

It was a pleasure to read a book with a "quirky" female protagonist where quirky means "socially rigid recluse dressed in elderly librarian cast-offs, obsessed with cryptic crosswords and vodka, and with a tendency to make unintentionally hilarious observations" rather than Manic Pixie Dream Girl or some other stereotype.  (I mean, I like Zooey Deschanel in New Girl a lot, but it's nice to have some variety, you know?)

Here is a good review.  I was surprised to learn that the author started writing after turning 40, producing 3 chapters of the book to submit to a competition for unpublished female writers and finishing the book in the evenings and lunch breaks around her office job.

No comments: