Sunday, January 28, 2018

Preppy Failings

#NatureTwinning Part 23

Unknown Duck at Simmons Aviary--Friday, 12/15/17

Double scarf action, quilted vest, cashmere sweater, and denim skirt has the fall/winter casual Friday thing written all over it.  These are NOT the shoes I wore in the office, though--I wore these navy all weather mocs to work and changed into my navy suede ankle boots once I got there.  But looking at this outfit as photographed, I seem quite ready for a Colorado winter Friday.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $15.22


Keeping with the bird (if not owl) theme suggested by my scarf, here is a mysterious duck we encountered at the zoo in Omaha.  But wait!  A Google reverse image search actually worked!  Is this totally a bar-headed goose or what?  Excellent.

Henry Doorly Zoo

Shrub Rose at Gladney Rose Garden--Wednesday, 1/10/18

After a much longer than expected time away from the office, I finally returned to work in another pink-floral-in-winter outfit.  I loved how this dark green blazer with black accents looked with the skirt, and it was fun to add in a subdued pop of color with the maroon ankle boots.

*Black long-sleeved T (thrifted, JCP), $4.49

OCPW: $16.65


After seeing a few roses that were labeled "shrub roses" show up in my photos, I got curious about what a shrub rose is.  I couldn't find a great definitive source, but I get the impression that "shrub rose" is a general catch-all category for roses not otherwise defined so it's a very diverse group, that they were originally created by crossing classic roses with modern roses and hence are generally easier to grow and maintain than classic roses, and that they are used for creating hedges and mass planting.  Plus, they're pretty!

Missouri Botanical Garden

In other news...A short article I've been sitting on since last summer and have been meaning to share: Why J. Crew's Vision of Preppy America Failed.

One of my favorite lines refers to the author visiting a J. Crew store and finding the clothes didn't look as good hanging on the rack as they did online worn by models:

(It's unfair to fault them for existing in physical reality, but that's 2017 for you.)

3 comments:

Debbie said...

My favorite part was the silly J. Crew Crew shows. Though I watched only two of them. The rest was all: blah blah fashion, blah blah business. Sorry.

I once decided that clothes look about the same on me as they do on hangers, so it's much better if I don't have to look at them on models or mannequins.

Sally said...

Debbie, yes, I thought the shows were amusing as well. Having a hanger body type does make shopping from the rack easier in that way! :)

Sally said...

I do think it's interesting (sorry, business talk!) that J. Crew seems to be falling victim to the same consumer forces that have gouged the middle of most industries from grocery stores to gyms. Of course for me, J. Crew prices are at the high end of what I would spend on most things!