Thursday, January 25, 2018

Olive Rich Neutrals

#NatureTwinning Part 20: Brought to you by the color olive worn with other neutrals

Otter--Thursday, 12/7/17

I'm clearly doubling down on fall colors in these last days before my birthday, which is the final day before the official start of the Christmas season (i.e., the start of the Christmas season according to my mom, the source of all holiday wisdom).

This vest + skirt + tights + shoes block could be worn with about a million different sweaters and scarves to yield an unfathomable number of distinct outfits.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $7.74


This river otter is so sassy, I love it!

Henry Doorly Zoo

Tawny Frogmouths Looking Like the Beatles in the Bird House and Garden--Friday, 12/8/17

Olive and navy are such a great color combination, and since I've added more items to my wardrobe in these colors, there are a lot of new outfits to build based on them.  I also like an excuse to pull out these cognac boots, which definitely add to the "rich neutrals" feel.  Note that I'm still rocking the Debbie-inspired two-scarf technique here, which has become my default way of wearing this fall-colored-but-too-lightweight-for-fall-actually owl scarf.

OCPW: $14.41


I'm surprised that I didn't manage to get any owl photos on the Zoo Tour, but I hope this funny set of birds will suffice.  Oh-ho, apparently frogmouths are often mistaken for owls!  And indeed, a Google reverse image search comes up with "Owl."  So they're a more appropriate companion to my owl (or is it frogmouth??) scarf than I realized.

It's driving me a little crazy that I can't figure out whether there is a specific Beatles image that the frogmouths are reminding me of or if they are just giving me that general impression.  Ideas?  If it's the latter, I now wish I could use my Reverse Inspirational abilities to make the Beatles take a photo in these poses.  It would be awesome!  Four guys who look alike, staring in different directions with grim expressions.  Come on, let the frogmouths be your guide!

St Louis Zoo

In other news...Let's close out 2017 (a bit belatedly, to be sure) with this round-up of Instagram's favorite New Yorker cartoons.  Predictably, I laughed out loud at "clever but devastating."  Many people need to be advised in this way, but for some of us, it just comes naturally.

No comments: