Monday, January 22, 2018

A Knight

#NatureTwinning Part ... I don't know, I've gotten them out of order now

Heart Shaped Rose--Wednesday, 11/29/17

I admit that this blouse was not the most versatile item I added to my closet this fall.  But since I also bought new navy pants, a navy cardigan, and a navy blazer, the fact the blouse mostly goes with navy (and white, eventually, when the weather warms up) is not a bad thing.

*Light pink/navy floral blouse (Loft), $35.70

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $65.67


A lovely rose in the same very pale pink shade as my blouse is still in astonishingly good condition for the end of December, no?  It was amazing how many roses were still blooming in southern California, where not only do they not have winter, it doesn't seem like they even have fall.

Los Angeles Arboretum

Adult and Immature Flamingos--Thursday, 11/30/17

I'm still really enjoying this sweater that I bought last winter, and I haven't come close to exhausting its possibilities in new outfits.  But pink + grey is a favorite, and the addition of the mary janes lends an extra dose of librarian chic.

OCPW: $8.78


Flamingos are some of the silliest-looking birds on the planet.  It's no wonder that when Alice was trying to use one as a croquet mallet in a life-or-death match against the Queen of Hearts, the flamingo's puzzled expression made her laugh despite her danger.

Cincinnati Zoo

In other news...Over Christmas break, I read A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George R. R. Martin.  It's a set of 3 novellas set in the same universe as A Game of Thrones, 100 years earlier, when the Targaryens are still ruling the land and the last dragon remains within living memory of the older citizens.  For those who found the Game of Thrones books overwhelming with the 15,296 different characters across 16 continents, 198 years, and 47 changes in political alliances, this one stays with one point of view character, Dunk the freelancing hedge knight, and follows Dunk and his squire Egg's adventures in a straightforward way.  I found it a light-hearted counterpoint to Martin's big (never-to-be-completed?) Game of Thrones saga.  I'm not entirely sure it isn't a book for kids/teens, though I recall some language that suggests perhaps not.  It's nothing like the Game of Thrones books, for good and bad.  But I enjoyed zipping through it.

No comments: