Friday, December 13, 2013

Last Pre-Christmas Gasp

I wrote this post today to post tomorrow, but I'm afraid I'll forget in the morning, so a double post today it is.

God, I am so amazingly exhausted right now.  I don't know if it's the kind of tired that makes it easy to sleep or that annoying kind that makes it hard to get comfortable, but in any event, I am Ready. To. Flop!
-----

OK, finally catching up here, so of course that means it's time for me to fall behind again by taking a two week Christmas vacation.   But I'll be back with an assortment of outfits in red and green (and blue and black and white).

Surprisingly Scarfless -- 12/11/13

I liked wearing my burgundy pants with a grey sweater, so I decided to flip it around with this magenta pullover.  (Robert wears a burgundy shirt with grey slacks to work and it always looks so great.  These colors are just wonderful together.)

Are you surprised I'm not wearing a scarf here?  I am!  I was just in the mood to wear the crazy multi-color multi-rock necklace again instead.


New item:
**Magenta pullover sweater (thrifted -- like 2 years ago, I don't know why I didn't wear it before other than simple laziness)

And here you can see sweater + blazer layering in action.  (And yes, I also switched from ballet flats to warm socks later in my below 60 degree office.)


New item:
**Plushy black blazer (thrifted, Talbots)

Indoor Birdwatching -- 12/12/13

Robert had the afternoon off from work so we went to the Audubon show at the university's natural history museum.  It was really cool.  I liked seeing so many of them -- including my favorite one (the whooping crane) -- up close and personal, and they did a great job arranging Audubon's work with the work of other bird artists so we could see, for example, differences in Audubon's approach compared to previous artists and the influence that his work had on later artists.

They had a work station set up with a stuffed blue jay mounted in front of a grid and big sheets of gridded paper so that we could try for ourselves his method of using the grid lines to accurately draw the bird.  I did a halfway decent job with the head and the general outline of the bird, though I was too impatient to sketch all of the feathers in individually.  I never saw anyone else try their hand at this while we were there, and from comments I got from other visitors while I was working on it, it seems that many adults are too afraid to do something they would probably suck at.  I told one woman who asked me "Are you an artist?" that I've tried to draw birds before and I am so terrible at it that my attempt to draw this bird would be a true test of the method.  I can report that the grid method resulted in a much better drawing than my previous method of just winging it (ahem).

This exact combination of sweater, jeans, and shoes is one that I wore fairly often to school -- for whatever reason, I really love how the straight leg jeans with a bit of length breaks over the top of the shoes.  (The shoes are all-season mocs with nice grippy soles, so it's not surprising that I wore these walking to school in the winter fairly often.)  Though I did not intentionally choose to wear it to the museum because of the university location, it was appropriate -- I wore a bright pink jacket over it, and with the 3 layers, I was comfortable both outdoors (zipped) and indoors (unzipped).

To make this outfit not a total repeat, and for added warmth, I topped it with a turquoise scarf.  I tried it with my navy blue scarf with brown owls on it (for the whole bird theme) but the scarf was both too lightweight and too short to work quite right. 

New items:  None

It's Not Actually Raining -- 12/13/13

The most common thing I see on women walking around town in the winter is skinny jeans and tall boots.  I actually own a pair of skinny jeans that I got at Goodwill, but of course I haven't worn them yet (it is not a particularly flattering shape for me), and I've been leery of tall boots because I'm afraid they'll be too hot indoors.  But I've been curious about the skirt + tall boot combination...enough so that I wanted to get a pair of tall boots.

Instead of getting leather (or faux leather), though, I bought a pair of Hunter rain boots.

I've seen several fashion bloggers wear their Hunter boots as just, you know, boots, and the fellow Snow City resident from whom I've learned almost everything I know about dressing in cold weather says that she uses her similar rain boots as snow boots under mildly snowy conditions.  So I thought: rain boots, snow boots, and tall boots all in one -- sounds good!

Today I'm testing them out (with a skirt!) for the first time.  I'm wearing footless tights, normal socks, and the boots over them.  (I also bought the fleece welly "socks" -- i.e., big-ass boot liners -- to wear with them outside when it's really cold, but thankfully, even my Skyrim office is not chilly enough for that.)

I also could not decide between a necklace and a scarf, so I wore both.  Hah!


New items:
**Freshwater pearl necklace from Macy's (the single strand was also on mega-sale so I bought it, too)
**Black Hunter rain boots

Oh, I should report my verdict:  The wellies are warm to wear indoors, but not too warm.  I'm glad to be wearing them with normal socks, though -- with footed tights, it might be too much, even outdoors.  Plastic doesn't breathe, and tights don't breathe -- not a great combination, I think, for anyone who doesn't enjoy having damp feet.  And seriously, if you enjoy having damp feet, why are you wearing rain boots?

1 comment:

jen said...

It was snowing all day yesterday, so I wore my snow boots (over skinny jeans) when we went to see friends for dinner. When we left their apartment, the snow had turned to rain, so we had huge pools of water and slush to tromp through... I was happy that my snow boots were actually waterproof. It helped make up for the fact that I managed to slip on the subway stairs and fall on my butt in the middle of a huge crowd on our way there (and of course I was the one carrying the breakable stuff... the wine bottles made it ok, but one did get a tiny leak, so we had to be sure and drink it, of course!)