Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Cold Weather Outfits

A Surprising Challenge - 12/5/13

My mom was telling me recently about how awkward and difficult it is to match shades of teal...aqua...all those colors that mix blue and green.  I love all colors on that green-to-blue spectrum but agree that they can be more challenging to work with than you'd think (esp. when you're trying to wear different items in this color family together, but even with other colors).  For example, I bought this bluish green scarf at the end of last winter because I immediately fell in love with the color (which is also a very flattering color next to my face) -- but I had not worn it yet because I hadn't really figured out what to wear it with.  So I decided to go with the most basic black shirt, black cardigan, and jeans base and try jazzing it up with an eye-catching colored cardigan and nifty shoes.  I was really pleased with how it turned out.  I could wear this same base for a week, just switching up the scarf/necklace and shoes each day, and people probably wouldn't even really notice I was wearing the same clothes.


Later, when I was playing Skyrim in my appropriately cold office (in winter, the differential in upstairs and downstairs temperature is ridiculous -- it was 70 degrees at Robert's computer and 58 at mine that afternoon, which is a lot better than the other way around, but still...), I put on my new leopard print vest.  This puffy vest is marketed as "outerwear" but was quite comfy and appropriate to a chilly indoor temperature.  And the lack of bulky sleeves meant no interference with my gameplay.


New items:
**Bluish green scarf from Target
**Leopard print puffer vest from Macy's (only $21 at their Black Friday sale)

Nordic Novelty - 12/6/13

Still cold in my office, so out comes the usually-too-warm acrylic sweater.  I ended up wearing this with my warm boot-like red slippers but wanted to show off here how the colors in the sweater and these candy-cane covered socks matched perfectly.


New item:
**Red pullover sweater (thifted; Vanity Nordic Gear brand -- I am not making that up.  Oh god, googling that brand brought up my own previous post from when I first bought this sweater....in August 2011.  Hah.  Glad it's finally getting some love.)

Blue Stripes - 12/7/13

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this old striped shirt (thrifted) was a very close match to the shade of blue in my recently purchased Lands End cardigan (previously worn with pink).  This necklace works really well, I think, in adding visual interest (needs to be kind of chunky and obvious to stand out against the stripes) without covering up the shirt the way a scarf would.


New item:
**Silvery statement necklace from Jones New York

And how about some bunny ornaments?  These are my Kate & Leo ornament collection.

The first one is a cross-stitch ornament I made, simply customizing the rabbit colors to match my sweet little buns.  (You have to imagine that this is capturing the split second between the buns getting close to the tree and them grabbing it with their mouths and doing all kinds of damage.)


This one I made from a printed cross-stitch piece that I bought at the house rabbit Christmas sale.  Again, I made the bun the appropriate color and added Katy's name at the top.  (Not sure Katy would ever deign to wear a dress, but she's more likely than Leo to do so.)


And this last one was given to us by their vet, I believe, after Leo was put to sleep -- it has Leo's footprints on it and his name.  It was a very sweet gesture on their part.


2 comments:

mom said...

I love the blue outfit. It has stripes, one of my favorite colors and a gorgeous necklace. It's perfect!

Sally said...

Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised by how well that one came together.