Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sally's Wolf Salmon

This is the easiest, yummiest salmon recipe I know -- I really like that it requires no prep work and no perishable ingredients (I start with frozen salmon filets and usually put one down into the fridge to defrost as soon as I use the one that's already defrosted).  I eat it several times a week.  It's based on the salmon recipe from Robb Wolf's paleo book.

Place a small piece of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet (to make for easy clean up).
Brush a small amount of coconut oil onto the foil, big enough for your salmon filet.
Lay down the salmon filet, skin side down (if it has skin; mine often doesn't).
Sprinkle with sea salt and dried rosemary (I don't measure, but perhaps about 1/2 t. of the herb).  (Feel free to substitute any other herb or herb blend you like.  I'm crazy for rosemary.)
Sprinkle about 1/2 - 1 T. diced walnuts (or other nuts; Wolf uses pecans).
Cook in 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.  (I go 15 minutes but do not preheat my oven; this produces a cooked-through fish in my oven, which runs a bit cold.)
Eat and enjoy!

I often follow this up with a Tours Salad (see link for slight update to the recipe).

I've successfully increased my omega-3 intake over the past couple weeks to good effect.  I start the day with 1 T. of flaxseed oil (as recommended by Seth Roberts) and because despite the label professing it to be good in smoothies or salad oil, it tastes nasty, I drink it mixed with some water while wearing a swimmer's nose clip, which completely eliminates the taste.  I swish with (and drink) a bunch of lukewarm water afterwards and then I'm good to go.  I have also started taking 3 krill/fish oil tablets with breakfast (up from two).  And I'm eating salmon more days of the week than not.  (Some weeks, like this one, I'll probably eat it every day.)  The other morning, I woke up after sleeping for 11 hours (!!!) and was really surprised that the joints in my legs weren't hurting, as they often do after only 7 hours and almost always do after about 9 hours in bed.  Then I realized that I hadn't had joint pain for the last week, despite getting a lot of sleep.  (It's easier to get a lot of sleep when you don't wake up after 7 hours from pain.)  So my regimen seems to be working for me so far.  I've been thinking of upping my flaxseed oil to 2 T. per day, adding an extra one at bedtime.  We'll see.


2 comments:

Tam said...

This sounds great. And it's very exciting that you seem to have fixed some joint pain issues with this change in diet.

Sally said...

I know, it's pretty cool that the diet changes seem to be working, despite my skepticism going into this whole thing. This morning I tried 2 T. flaxseed oil in my continuing quest for a higher proportion of omega-3 oil to "other stuff" in my diet.