Monday, April 22, 2013

Sew What

The table in my office has now been fully switched from schoolwork mode to sewing mode.  I have even pressed the African market basket my mom gave me into service as a convenient way to store tools and equipment as well as carry the stuff upstairs to the dining room table, which has the extra space I need for laying out larger pattern pieces when cutting fabric.


To reacquaint myself with my sewing machine, I started by making more of the cocktail napkin insert replacements for my coasters (like the ones I made a few years ago).  I wanted to have enough of the coaster inserts that I could put all the current ones in the laundry hamper and put new ones in the coasters; although I had made more of them since the initial 6, I still didn't have enough to have a full replacement set.  Now I do.



The fabric I used includes two ancient bandanas with mysterious origins, some quilting fabric I purchased recently at Walmart, and -- the piece de resistance -- a pair of boxer shorts I bought at an aquarium about 20 years ago.

After that, I got slightly more ambitious and made some tissue box covers.  I know, it's kind of a grandma type thing to do, but I am sick of the fact that lotion Kleenex come in only two boring designs (and 5 pastel colors).  (Living in Snow City -- where in the winter, it is drier indoors than the Sahara Desert  -- normal Kleenex are too rough for regular use.  My nose gets roughed up enough using the lotion kind.)


I am using this tutorial to make my covers, and I think the ones I've done so far have turned out pretty sweet.

Robert's bathroom is all white and dark blue.  I like how this cover matches his mouthwash.

I originally made this one for my bathroom, but it goes very well with the red furniture in the living room.

I made this one from leftover fabric from a pair of pajama pants I made many years ago.  It matches Robert's sheets and blankets (and is probably the only "masculine" fabric I have).  No more pink water lily Kleenex for Robert!  (Well, unless he decides he misses them.)

My office needed a dash of color, and I am a sucker for these bright, batik-like prints.

I have also been, well, I guess the word is "tailoring" -- even though that word implies a much higher level of skill and ambition than I have yet -- some T-shirts I purchased online from Hanes.  I bought them in a slightly larger size and have been taking them in at the sides and at the hem as needed.  (I have nothing against longish T-shirts but I wanted some that were a little bit shorter for summer.)

I have also been working on another project.  Stay tuned for updates.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

コー​​チは念頭に置いてこの人口動態といくつかの素晴らしい製品を生産し始めている別の会社です

my web-site: バーバリー セール

mom said...

Both the coaster inserts and the kleenix box covers look great!! I'm hoping to see some for me soon! I'm glad you find a good use for the basket. They are such lovely baskets!