Monday, July 26, 2010

And This Was Odd Because It Was the Middle of the Night

You ever have that experience of waking up in the middle of the night with some brilliant idea that you write down in the dark (or in the glow of your watch or alarm clock), but then when you see it in the morning, it's illegible (e.g. is that the word "porcupine"?), nonsensical (e.g. crocodiles release the queen's ugly moat), or just dumb/ insipid? I have done this dozens of times.

Last night, between the hours of 1:15 and 2:30 a.m., I kept falling partly to sleep, then thinking some thought about my statement of purpose (that I had been working on before bed) or my research that I came into my office and wrote on a piece of paper. I filled up one side of the page and about a quarter of the other. Shockingly, when I looked over these notes this morning, they were actually good ideas. I'm not sure that it was completely unprecedented in my experience, but it was odd.

If you think we're alive you ought to speak to us!

2 comments:

Tam said...

Man, I love the picture, which let me guess enough to look up the title.

In the middle of last night I woke up realizing that ALL of my dreams lately have followed some particular pattern. I thought that was really weird. And I was certain it wasn't one of those things I have talked about where I wake up with a false belief or memory, because it was really true - they do all follow that pattern. And then my certainty faded and I realized that possibly it wasn't true at all. And now I'm pretty sure it isn't true since I can't even remember what the pattern was (I have only a vague memory of sitting around in a circle and having either cards or test tubes in my hand, perhaps with some implications about status).

Sally said...

The cards/test tubes thing makes me think of a fever dream/hallucination in which I know that if only I arrange things in the right way, I will get better.