Wednesday, July 7, 2010

You Know He's an Evil Bastard When

"The dim road hurtled towards us. A village, a huddle of houses, flickered by like ghosts. Ahead two eyes gleamed: they stared, then darted like fireflies as the rabbit turned to run. Paul Very gave a little laugh, and deliberately thrust down his foot. I heard the rabbit squeal as we hit it: behind me Rommel [a dog] whined, sharply. Paul Very laughed once more."

Later...

"He [Richard] corked the flask and put it down beside me. 'You seem a lot more worried about this dog than you do about friend Paul [who was injured when the car crashed and is still unconscious].'

'It's David's [a boy] dog. Besides, Paul Very ran over a rabbit,' I added, as if that explained everything."

The man is a murderer of humans as well as rabbits, but I can sympathize with her reaction.

(Madam, Will You Talk?, Mary Stewart)

No comments: