Sunday, July 18, 2010

Gigantic Conference

This week I submitted my first year project to a poster session at the big conference in my field. Currently, there are 598 submissions, and the deadline isn't until Tuesday. Knowing how grad students deal with deadlines, I think there are a lot more of them to come. This made me feel like it must be impossible to get one's poster accepted against so many other applicants, but Robert tracked down last year's conference materials - there were over 2,000 posters at the conference last year. So...yeah, I guess this conference is even huger than I imagined.

I don't know when we find out if we're accepted or not, but if accepted, I already know that I will be happy at the time, when this represents an opportunity to present research and an accomplishment in my budding career as an academic. However, as the end of January (and hence the conference) draws near, I am going to be focusing on what an utter pain in the ass it is to put together a poster, get travel arrangements made, and miss a few days of school and thus will increasingly wish I had not been accepted after all.

5 comments:

rvman said...

As of the morning of the 20th - 1201 posters. Also 116 symposia.

Tam said...

Clearly, you should have delayed gratification by resisting the urge to submit a poster proposal.

rvman said...

As of Wednesday afternoon, 1697 listed posters. So fewer than last year - no money available, so fewer people able to go?

rvman said...

It may also be that Vegas (last year's conference) was more attractive than San Antonio as a destination. It was probably also cheaper for anyone at the west coast schools to go to Vegas, and not that much different for east coast and midwestern schools.

Sally said...

I'd love to know how many applicants there were last year. I'm starting to suspect that they will be accepting everyone whose abstract is not obviously screwed up in some way.

RVman, I think you're probably correct on both counts (though for me, San Antonio > Vegas).