Friday, July 23, 2010

Disreputable

I sometimes talk about getting into a grad program at, or later getting a job at, a low-quality sounding fake directional state university, so I was quite impressed with how unimpressive this fake institution sounds - Southern Appalachian State Community Technical College.

A part-time instructor from said college is the purported source of a persuasive message about mandatory comprehensive exams in the "low credibility" condition of several experiments I'm reading about. The experiments were conducted at a midwestern state university, so the inclusion of both "southern" and "Appalachian" no doubt helped make this person sound stupid above and beyond what "community" and "technical" college implies because clearly, no one with intelligence would choose to work at a community college in the south or Appalachia. (And yes, I empathize with the implicit negative reaction to the idea of "Southern Appalachia" myself.)



I would also like to take this opportunity to point out this article to my reader who mocks my pronunciation of said region (and any interested others). Given my proximity to the area, and after the whole Colorado pronunciation debacle, you'd think I would have some (ahem) credibility on these things, but I guess not. Hence, I provide these other sources for your consideration.

10 comments:

Tam said...

I never mocked you about "Appalachia," did I? You surprised me, but I didn't think you were wrong.

Debbie said...

Huh. I come out as a New Englander on this issue even though I lived there only three years, I am not from there, and no one in my family is from there.

I'm not sure I've ever heard the local pronunciation before. I'm trying to repeat it in my head to remember.

Sally said...

Tam, conspicuous mimicking sounds a lot like mockery.

Debbie, I think the "New England" accent is the one held by everyone who lives outside the deep south. I know it hasn't gotten as far west as Texas or north as D.C.

I don't even remember ever hearing it pronounced growing up, and if I did, it would have been the NE pronunciation on TV. I didn't really have an idea about it until moving to NC and hearing everyone pronounce it the same way, which I just picked up automatically.

Debbie said...

Okay, my family is all from Chicago. The midwestern part of New England.

What makes mimicry conspicuous? When I did live in New England and we made fun of Bostonians for announcing when they were going to a "potty," they never noticed that we were saying "party" in a way other than the way we normally would.

Sally said...

It was conspicuous because she pronounced it the same way several times during the conversation, then finally said it the way I did with big quotation marks around it. If she'd mimicked me the first time, I suspect that I would not have noticed because I just assumed I was using the correct (or dominant or whatever) pronunciation because it was the one everybody around here uses. It was even easier to believe that there was only the one pronunciation because the guy who is clearly from up north used it too, but he was a professor at App State for a while and thus was well-trained in the local pronunciation.

Tam said...

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I wasn't mocking you, though, just playing with the sound of the word. If anything I might have been (inappropriately) mocking Appalachians and their funny ways.

Tam said...

(It's easy for me, if not you, to know I wasn't mocking you because I know that if you break out some unfamiliar pronunciation there is always a good reason. You're not one of those people who only guessed how to pronounce words from reading them, so I did figure out that the funny short-a pronunciation must be how the Appalachians say it.)

Sally said...

Well, Tam, we all know how culturally insensitive you are about Appalachia. Sigh.

Tam said...

Heh. Apparently. I mean, at one time I didn't even know that Kentucky was nowhere NEAR Appalachia. *cough*

Debbie said...

Big quotes. Okay, those are conspicuous.