Wednesday, June 2, 2010

You Think Herding Cats is Tough

In my sleep last night, Robert and I spent a long time in the guest bedroom of his grandmother's house trying to get an ever-increasing number of rabbits to go into and stay in a cage. The rabbits were all about 6 pounds, varied in color from cream to beige, and seemed to change gender randomly; the vast majority of them were named Kitty, which could have been confusing if any of them reacted in any way to their name, which they didn't. They were too busy eating papaya tablets that were scattered on the floor, running around in circles, and humping each other. At one point Robert left the bedroom door open and one rabbit escaped; he returned a few minutes later with three rabbits. Even when a rabbit was successfully lured/pushed into the cage, it escaped again almost immediately because the cage kept falling apart. This would have been more troublesome if the cage had been large enough for all the rabbits at any given time to fit. Even at the beginning of this doomed process, the cage could not have held as many as half of the rabbits, even if they had been crammed in, clowns-in-a-Volkswagen style.

It was basically a relief when Robert's intention to buy his grandmother's Christmas gift came up (it was Christmas Eve):

R: "I need to skip this dinner tonight and find a designer because I think my grandmother really wants a custom-designed Mork shirt for Christmas."

S: "Mork? You mean, like, from Ork?"

R: "Yeah."

S: "As in, na-nu na-nu Mork?"

The idea of Robert's grandmother in anything that could be described as a "custom-designed Mork shirt," which I pictured being worn with rainbow striped suspenders, was enough to wake me up from this madness.

6 comments:

mom said...

Your dreams make mine look pretty tame in comparison!

Tam said...

Last night I dreamt about going on a field trip to a mysteriously abandoned (kind of future-dystopic) foreign country with two of my former math professors.

rvman said...

Last night, the usual. As in, no dreams which I remember.

rvman said...

I do vaguely remember having a variant on this one at some point in the past, only there were just Kate and Leo, and they were about 2 inches long, hence the inability to keep them in their cage.

Sally said...

Tam, were you checking out the weird geographical features of the place for a topology class?

R, you know, now that you mention it, I remember you telling me about this a couple weeks ago. Perhaps this is what inspired the dream.

I did notice that "Kitty" and "Katy" are similar words and that the rabbits did look a bit like the bunny version of my mom's blonde kitty.

Tam said...

I think it was more like a fun trip where we were supposed to swim, but the beaches were surrounded by strange tall buildings and there were no people anywhere.