Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Weird Schedule

It seems that at about 9 p.m., my allergies stop bothering me and I finally start feeling alert, reasonably energetic, relatively headache-free, and fully brain-functional. Lately, this means I've been staying up until about 2 a.m. (oddly enough, usually working on my major area paper) and sleeping until about 10 a.m. This is sort of bothering me - it's totally out of line with my usual schedule and my current self-conception as more of a morning person - but there is not any real reason that it's a problem since there's no place for me to be at a particular time.

I feel like for minimum allergy suffering and maximum productivity this summer, I could arrange my schedule so I'm awake from about 7 p.m. until 11 a.m.

Or I could go see a freaking doctor about my allergies. (I say "a" doctor because I do not yet have any doctor in NC. I did not have an allergist in Austin, but I think I need to see one. My current regimen of drugs is not doing the trick, even without the rabbit fur / hay problem. The pollen in this state exists in crazy amounts.)

Incidentally, was I the only person who was really annoyed that Al Pacino's character in the movie Insomnia was a supposedly intelligent homicide detective but could not figure out how to darken his room in the 24-hour sun of the Alaska summer so that he could get some sleep? I mean, I get it that the man was haunted and deranged by guilt, so he had other issues affecting his sleep, but I find it frustrating when an adult is so completely incapable of handling such a basic life task.

You know, a basic life task like going to the doctor because your allergies are bad enough that you are contemplating becoming a nocturnal creature against habit and all sense. Argh.

2 comments:

Tam said...

An allergist sounds like a good idea -- no need to suffer unnecessarily.

mom said...

Sometimes after being tested by an allergist as to what you are actually allergic to, you can get desensitizing inoculations (not sure what these are really called) that help prevent the allergy attack in the first place. Good luck!