Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pesto

Rabbits can't reach the second floor balcony to nibble these tender herbs
Today I harvested a bunch of basil from my thriving container herb garden and made enough pesto for two lasagnas. Then I decided to harvest oregano, too, and added it to the basil pesto, making a sort of mixed herb pesto (about 75% basil, 25% oregano). While there is probably some law in Italy about how pesto is to be made (no doubt using a mortar and pestle rather than a food processor, too), I believe it is still allowable in America to make pesto partly from oregano leaves. Some people may argue that it is allowable, but not advisable. Some people will not be eating the incredibly good lasagna I will be making with this pesto.

2 comments:

mom said...

I wish I could eat some of that lasagna - if we make it out there this summer will there be any left?

Sally said...

Where there's basil, there's pesto, and where there's pesto, there's lasagna. So if my basil plants survive, we should be in business.