Monday, June 7, 2010

A Great Name

I think the current counterpart to Dave Barry's "that would be a great name for a band" thing is "that would be a great name for a blog."

I would like to nominate The Hidden Homunculus as a great name for a blog.

Source: MacCoon, D. G., Wallace, J. F., & Newman, J. P. (2004). Self-regulation: Context-appropriate balanced attention. The Handbook of Self-Regulation.

In this case, the hidden homunculus arises in the context of how attention is allocated. The authors argue, if "I" allocate attention, who is this "I"? A little person inside my head (i.e., a homunculus)? If I propose that "I" select my goal and my attention is allocated according to how various cues relate to my goal, this invokes a hidden homunculus.

The basic issue is that attributing something to a homunculus doesn't really answer the question because the same question can be asked of the homunculus itself. Does that homunculus have its own homunculus? Does the homunculus's homunculus have a homunculus of its own?

I guess you can think of this as being the intrapsychic version of "it's turtles all the way down."

And you know, The Homunculus's Homunculus is a pretty good blog name, too.

1 comment:

Tam said...

I love band and blog names. I remember that Empirical Question was a "good blog name" for a long time before it became the name of a good blog.