Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Job Done

I had decided that I would send my advisor the first draft of something I've been working on by tomorrow afternoon at the latest, and I'm happy to report I sent it just now. It's a kick in the pants to realize that school starts again in two months.

It's also a relief to remember that just because it was 97 degrees today (I know, WTF? It's normally about 85 this time of year), it's not actually August already. I know that everybody always talks about the weather all the time, but for the past couple weeks, it seems that every single person I meet has been doing so compulsively and with a sort of dazed yet intense desperation that is atypical. I walked to the dumpster and back around noon today (it took 11 minutes - I timed it) and several people looked at me from their air-conditioned cars as if my obvious insanity might lead me to do something even more reckless in the next few seconds.

This evening I needed to go to the grocery to buy eggs, got in the car, spent the whole time I was driving evaluating the quality of the light and clouds and their implications for the possibility of us getting rain soon, and realized I was about to pull into the school parking lot. Oops.

2 comments:

Tam said...

Congrats on getting the draft finished and sent. It was several weeks ago that you "realized" with dismay that there were only 2 months left. Does it feel less bad now that you've had that extra time?

It's kind of hot here, too, though it cools off at night. (Where I'm moving to is about 10 degrees hotter during the day, but the low is 20 degrees hotter. I'm sad about losing the cool evenings.) I think it's seasonally appropriate, though. July is usually our hottest month.

Sally said...

Two months still seems shorter than I'd like, but reasonable.