Saturday, February 16, 2008

Name the Movie

UPDATE 3: All the movies have been identified - good job!

UPDATE 2: I have added more quotes for the four remaining movies. I think they are pretty much identifiable now.

UPDATE: Now with clues below; I have included an additional quote by the same character (when such a quote exists).

**By the way, in fairness to Robert, I will say that he identified 1, 2, 8, 13, 16, 17, and 21 by name. He also identified the actor saying the line in 3 & 5.


Livingdeb has a fun post in which people try to identify a movie from a quote (as listed on the movie's IMDB quote page) that I thought I would borrow, but rather than limit myself to 15 movies, I have done 21. It was actually a bit harder than I thought to recall movies that I like well enough (and that seemed quotable) to use but I purposely avoided using any external memory aids in developing the list. That may help you with your guesses. (However, I did pseudo-randomize the list below, so it does not represent the first 21 films I thought of in order.) I also made sure that at least one regular reader has seen the movie and thus there is a chance at somebody getting it right. If these turn out to be too difficult, I may update this post with hints.

Here are the rules:
1. Pick 15 movies you know/like/love. (I did more than this.)
2. Go to IMDb and find a quote from each movie.
3. Post them here for everyone to guess.
4. Strike it out when someone guesses correctly, and put who guessed it and the movie. (I don't actually know how to use strike-outs on Blogger, so I will have to use another method.)
5. NO GOOGLING/using IMDb search functions. (This means you guys.)

Note: I decided not to include my favorite movie, of which I have devoted almost the entirety to memory and that is so infused into my very self from such a young age that there are numerous typical Sally sayings that come straight from the movie.

Please don't be shy about making some wild guesses. The wrong answers will probably be more entertaining than the right ones and I am willing to give partial credit. So with this, we may begin. Good luck.


Oh, but it's loads of fun 1. You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! - Vizzini, The Princess Bride - cartaufalous

2. Anybody see 'Battle of the 80's Has-Beens' last night? That Debbie Gibson can take a punch.

Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. It's just my Pop! hip. It comes from years of doing our patented dance move. My God, I've suffered for my art. - Alex Fletcher, Music and Lyrics - Jen

3. In case I never see you again, which would add ten years to my life, what would you fellas want to play football?

[the retiring president has just made a speech] Well, I thought my razor was dull until I heard his speech. And that reminds me of a story that's so dirty I'm ashamed to think of it myself.

(same character) Professor Wagstaff: ...swordfish, swordfish... I think I got it. Is it "swordfish"?

-Professor Wagstaff, Horse Feathers - Mom

4. My dear young man, don't take it too hard. Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect. - Emperor Joseph II, Amadeus - Rick (and Robert, supplying title)

5. Hey, don't knock masturbation! It's sex with someone I love. - Alvy Singer, Annie Hall - cartaufalous

6. The first time that he spoke to me... I shall never forget his words. I remember it like it was yesterday. He leaned across the table, he looked me straight in the eye, and he said, "Aubrey... may I trouble you for the salt?

The promise was conditional. I command a king's ship, not a private yacht! WE DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR DAMNED HOBBIES, SIR! - Jack Aubrey, Master and Commander - Robert

7. How, it was dreadful! No parlor car on the train, and this wilderness! When I think of last summer, of the glorious times Gladys Ferguson and I had! But I must remember the last thing dear Mrs. Ferguson said to me, "Don't let poverty drag you down, Julia. Keep high thoughts and try not to let them get soiled by the grime of daily living."

Oh, Nancy, it's all been my fault. I'll do my share of the chores from now on, and I'll never mention the Fergusons again. Oh, and my dresses weren't even imported, I made them myself! - Julia Carey, Summer Magic - Jen

8. Civil war dudes... You guys are brothers for God's sake... You gotta stop fighting... North wins... Slavery is bad... Sorry... Don't want to burst your bubble but South you guys get the Allman Brothers... and... Nascar. So just chill!

I'm trusting you guys, and if you don't do what I say you'll end up like your buddies in the Mayan world over there, locked up. Do they look happy? - Larry, Night at the Museum - Jen

9. I am willing to bet you ten thousand francs, that the phantom is in Cortina at this very moment. Even, perhaps, in this very room.

Believe me. There are few thieves who are as clever as the Phantom. Each theft is completely different and unique, classic in its conception. - Inspector Jacques Clouseau, The Pink Panther - Robert

10. There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they Do... Not... Know about it! - Kay, Men in Black - debbie

11. Anyways, you need people of intelligence on this sort of... mission... quest... thing.

What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he? - Pippin, The Fellowship of the Ring - Mom

12. Tom is talented. Tom is tender... Tom is beautiful... Tom is a mystery. Tom is not a nobody. Tom has secrets he doesn't want to tell me, and I wish he would. Tom has nightmares. That's not a good thing. Tom has someone to love him. That is a good thing. Tom is crushing me. Tom is crushing me... Tom, you're crushing me!

What do you mean... lied about who you are?

(Different character) Dickie Greenleaf: Who are you? Huh? Some third class loser? Who are you? Who are you to say anything to me? Who are you to tell me anything? Actually I really, really don't want to be on this boat with you. I can't move without you moving. Gives me the creeps. You give me the creeps!

- The Talented Mr. Ripley - Robin

13. That is no arrow. We just imagine the arrows because we fear them. - Okello, Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tam

14. If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car! - The Wolf, Pulp Fiction - cartaufalous, debbie

15. Well the buzz from the bees is that the leopards are in a bit of a spot. And the baboons are going ape over this. Of course, the giraffes are acting like they're above it all... The tick birds are pecking on the elephants. I told the elephants to forget it, but they can't. The cheetahs are hard up, but I always say, cheetahs never prosper... - Zazu, The Lion King - Mom

16. That's twice this month you've slipped deadly nightshade into my tea and run off.

Sally! You came back. - Dr. Finkelstein, The Nightmare Before Christmas - Tam

17. Yesterday we have learned the correct way how to boil water. Today we will learn the correct way how to crack an egg. Voila! An egg. Now, an egg is not a stone; it is not made of wood, it is a living thing. It has a heart. So when we crack it, we must not torment it. We must be merciful and execute it quickly, like with the guillotine. - The Professor, Sabrina - Jen

18. Just in case you're interested, it's called the suprasternal notch. Come and visit us in Dorset when all this nonsense is over.

I have to teach myself not to read too much into everything. It comes from too long having to read so much into hardly anything at all.

(Different character) Katharine Clifton: My darling. I'm waiting for you. How long is the day in the dark? Or a week? The fire is gone, and I'm horribly cold. I really should drag myself outside but then there'd be the sun. I'm afraid I waste the light on the paintings, not writing these words. We die. We die rich with lovers and tribes, tastes we have swallowed, bodies we've entered and swum up like rivers. Fears we've hidden in - like this wretched cave. I want all this marked on my body. Where the real countries are. Not boundaries drawn on mapswith the names of powerful men. I know you'll come carry me out to the Palace of Winds. That's what I've wanted: to walk in such a place with you. With friends, on an earth without maps. The lamp has gone out and I'm writing in the darkness.

- The English Patient - Robin

19. Help! I think I'm melting! This is all your fault!

Now don't you forget this! Why I should stick my neck out for you is far beyond my capacity!

(Still the same character...)

[first line] Did you hear that? They shut down the main reactor. We'll be destroyed for sure. This is madness.

We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.

Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease.

Just you reconsider playing that message for him! ... No, I don't think he likes you at all... No, I don't like you either.

- C3PO, Star Wars - Jen

20. Excrement! That's what I think of Mr. J. Evans Pritchard! We're not laying pipe! We're talking about poetry. How can you describe poetry like American Bandstand? "I like Byron, I give him a 42 but I can't dance to it!" - John Keating, Dead Poets Society - Mom

21. Our daughter is famous, Helen. You're the only person who doesn't know it. - Rupert Potter, Miss Potter - Rick (and Robert, supplying title)

27 comments:

cartaufalous said...

Hmmm, I'll take the low hanging fruit:

1) Princess Bride
5) Annie Hall
14) Pulp Fiction

Anonymous said...

I don't know any of them, but here are some guesses:

6) Last Days of Disco
10) Men in Black
14) Pulp Fiction

Sally said...

Cartaufalous & debbie:

Correct answers to 1, 5, 10, and 14.

6 is not Last Days of Disco, but that's an entertaining guess!

Anonymous said...

I'm not good at this, so the only one I am willing to take a chance on is 15. The Lion King.

Anonymous said...

I also think 20 is Dead Poet's Society.

Tam said...

I think 13 is "Aguirre, the Wrath of God."

Sally said...

Mom & Tam - correct on all counts!

Tam said...

I don't know why I didn't get #16 before, but of course that's "The Nightmare Before Christmas." (I think I totally just didn't see it before, since I also used that on my list, and I meant not to have duplicates.)

I think #17 is the movie you've talked about learning to crack an egg one-handed from. My vague memory/impression is of a black and white movie with a famous female actress. Shirley MacLaine or Audrey Hepburn or someone like that. I mention this in case it would help anyone.

Sally said...

Tam: Yes, #16 is right. I almost used a frog's breath quote myself, so I laughed when I saw your list.

And yes, #17 does star Audrey Hepburn and is where I learned to crack an egg from that scene.

Anonymous said...

11 is The Lord of the Rings/Fellowship of the Ring.

Anonymous said...

I think 9 is To Catch a Thief.

Sally said...

Mom - You are right about #11! #9 is not To Catch a Thief, but that's a good guess.

Anonymous said...

I have to run to rehearsal - but I'm pretty sure of the following:
2) Music & Lyrics (great Hugh Grant movie)
7) Summer Magic (Ugly Bug Ball etc)
17) Sabrina

Rick said...

Unfortunately I don't have anything conclusive here but I'm hoping for the partial credit. Maybe I can jingle some bells:

#4) I think this one is from the movie about Mozart. The dude who played the father in Beetlegeuse is the Austrian king. I think the kind said the line about the notes.

#8) Sounds like Bill & Ted's (adj) Adventure

#18) Possibly from the movie "The Hours" ?

#21) I'm pretty sure this is from the movie with Renee Zellweger where she plays the artist that draws rabbits. I think this is from the part where she was wanting to buy her farm.

Sally said...

Jen - you are right with all 3 of them. I'm a little surprised Mom didn't recognize Summer Magic, but she didn't have to sit through this one as many times as I did ;)

Rick - yes! #4 is the Mozart movie and #21 is the rabbit movie with Renee Zellweger.

#8 is an excellent guess but this one is a much more recent movie, that honestly, really got included here because I saw it on DVD a couple weeks ago and not because it is some enduring favorite. Not sure actually that anyone besides Robert and I have seen it.

#18 is close - it does have a literary feel to it; the "suprasternal notch" bit is the key to this one.

Anonymous said...

#8 - Night at the Museum!

Anonymous said...

Now I'll go for some wilder guesses that are probably wrong but worth a shot anyway.

#3 Man of the Year (with Robin Williams; Rick knew the title)
#18 Pride and Prejudice?
#19 Toy Story?

Sally said...

Jen, nice work on Night at the Museum.

#18 is not right, but you are on the right track - it is from a book (though one that not necessarily many people have read).

#19 was an excellent guess. I would have been tempted to think it right if I didn't know better. You are correct that the character being quoted is not a human being.

As for #3, man, I'm really surprised no one has at least figured out who the speaker is... :)

Anonymous said...

#3 has to be from Duck Soup, even though I don't recognize it, because none of the others are.

Sally said...

#3 is not Duck Soup, but finally someone other than Robert figured out that it's Groucho! Come on, people.

Anonymous said...

I know the movie, but I can't remember the name, so my guess for #3 is Horse Feathers.

Anonymous said...

18 is the Bicentennial Man?

Anonymous said...

It's so frustrating how some of these are so familiar but I just can't picture where they came from. I'm having to go with another crazy guess on #19 with Star Wars.

Sally said...

Mom - Yes, #3 is Horse Feathers!

Jen - And #19 is Star Wars! I had fun with that one, since it's a movie we have all seen so many times.

#18 is not Bicentennial Man (which I have not seen, actually), so 18 and 12 remain up for grabs.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sure I've seen 12 & 18 but have no idea what they can be.

Anonymous said...

Doh! #12 is "The Talented Mr. Ripley" and #18 is "The English Patient".

Sally said...

Robin - Good job, that cleans up the last two.