Thursday, February 7, 2008

Language Expectancy Theory: College Girls Edition

At school, this afternoon at 3:30 (Thursday, which is the new Friday, now that classes are only held Monday - Thursday), I walked by two girls who were having a conversation of which I heard only part:

Girl 1: "...so I thought I would do it tonight."

Girl 2: "OK, well, first, you need to get a bottle of Jack Daniels -- barbecue sauce -- it doesn't matter which flavor, though I usually use [whatever]. Then -- you put out the chicken...."

By the time I got through "do it" and "Jack Daniels," the discovery that they were discussing a method of making barbecued chicken really surprised and amused me. I totally did not expect this conversation to resolve into plans for what to cook for dinner, rather than how to get drunk and hook up.

However, since the girls looked a lot more like Tam and me circa 1994 than the prototypical 2008 Bobcat High sorority babes who look ready to walk onto the filming of Girls Gone Wild at a moment's notice, perhaps this should have been less surprising than it was.

No comments: