Friday, August 31, 2007

She Lives!

Tam has had the surgery for her chronic neck problem and is home from the hospital. I spoke with her very briefly last night (briefly because having doctors go through your neck to reach your spinal cord makes talking difficult the next day) but she seemed to be doing fine, although her first night after the surgery was pretty awful. Of course, I cannot vouch that she was actually awake during this conversation, but according to her boyfriend Ed who answered the phone, she was up and cooking spaghetti when I called, so either she was awake or has become even more impressive at functioning in her sleep. In any event, she is pretty clearly still alive and has not lost her well-known preference for pasta, so that is very good news.

Now we wait to find out whether the surgery has had the desired effect. In the meantime, Tam is going to be sporting a very fashionable neck brace, reducing her movement to almost nothing, and periodically a "bone growth stimulator" that does not sound too frightening.

Good luck, Tam.

1 comment:

Tam said...

Thanks, Sally!

That pasta meal was a miracle - my first substantial meal (~500 calories) since having the surgery. Sure, it was only the next day, but I'd subsisted exclusively on jello and the one corner of a graham cracker that I was able to choke down.

I'm doing well and I think I may already be slightly better off than pre-surgery, though that's probably more spin than reality.