Thursday, August 9, 2007

Class Registration Completed - Hurray!

I logged on this morning at the earliest possible opportunity to enroll in classes at the opening of the late registration period. One cool thing about TSU is that all grad students, including non-degree seeking ones like me, can enroll at any point of the registration period, which allowed me to blitz in and enroll as soon as registration began.

I even lucked out and an opening appeared for the marketing class at a more convenient time - presumably someone enrolled but had not paid their tuition so the slot was opened up again this morning.

My schedule is:

M-Th 8:00 - 9:15 Calc II
M/W 9:30 - 10:45 Intro to Marketing
T/Th 12:30 - 1:45 Attitude Assessment

I did run into one snag the first time I tried to register for classes; it accepted me into the marketing and psych class but because I do not have the prereq Calc I class in the database, it wouldn't allow me to register for Calc II. When I called the math department, the staff member on the phone said that Dr P (who is both the grad advisor and my calc II teacher) had not given her the paperwork, but that since she wasn't sure when he was coming in today, she would go ahead and do the override for me so I could enroll today. I said, "When do you think you will have everything in the system?" and she responded, "Oh, I'm doing it right now... OK, it's ready for you to register now." And after thanking her profusely, I got off the phone and tried signing up for the classes (lecture and lab sections) again and it worked. Awesomeness. I really appreciate the fact that every time I need to get something done at TSU, the people are genuinely interested in smoothing the way and are immediately helpful (and generally cheerfully so); it makes for a very positive customer experience.

I have purchased a commuter parking permit ($72 - not bad!) but Robert found that TSU has a shuttle that picks up at the Whataburger in the shopping center across from my apartment complex, so if I have trouble with my car or just don't feel like driving, I have an alternative transportation option (that does not involve making Robert miss work).

I am feeling hugely relieved and excited... and because I'm on mind-altering painkillers right now, I'm even more crazy feeling about it. In fact, I am feeling sufficiently separated from myself that I am sort of surprised to watch these words appear on the screen as if from nowhere. It is an odd thing, sort of like that floating/detached head feeling that comes with taking cold medicine only much more so. I should stop now before I begin writing about myself in the third person.

1 comment:

Tam said...

That's a pretty awesome schedule. I'm so envious. (Grrr! Heh.)

I have found that all of the staff at my college are really helpful too. And with everything computerized these days, it's easy for them to do stuff right then and there. I love that.

I speculate that one kind of nice thing about universities is that the staff and faculty there are basically used to dealing with college-aged kids, who tend to be on the incompetent side in terms of getting things handled. So for actual adults, the way is so smoothed that it's ridiculously easy to accomplish things. (Compare it to something like trying to coordinate different doctors and medical tests, which is always a freakin' nightmare.)