Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Money Well Spent, In Advance of Getting It

After months of wanting a new pair of shoes, I was not able to resist buying these 80s style Keds from eBay - new in box for under $21, including shipping, which compares mega-favorably to buying Keds champion slip-ons with inferior fabric from Zappos at $46. (See, it's not how much you spend - it's how much you "save" - well, um... anyway.) I had shoes of this style in a very dramatic flower pattern in the 80s (sans denim edging) and I loved them. I am happy to see this style make a comeback.

My new shoes will totally rule the school
Of course, this purchase does beg the question, How is it Operation Cheap Ass compatible? I justified it in my mind (retrospectively) when a few days after the purchase, I received a market research survey in the mail that offers me $25 to complete a two-week daily diary of personal habits. And while initially I was not necessarily keen on the idea that every time I take a leak, someone at Synovate needs to know about it, it does offer me the opportunity to earn money to pay for my new shoes.

And let me take this opportunity to emphasize how glad I am that I am not the market research manager heading up the toilet paper project at Synovate, nor do I anticipate that I ever will be in possession of ridiculously detailed knowledge on this subject. There are some topics that I am happy to live in ignorance of and this is one of them. It took me long enough to forget more than most people ever knew about 3-in-1 printers, for example.

No comments: