Friday, June 1, 2007

Sneakery Shoes

In the "Pain of Paying" comments, the newly boyfriended Tam pointed me to an online display of a set of "sneakery" shoes that she saw on a recent trip to the Patagonia store. Check out this green shoe from Patagonia:

Bright green sneakers for operating the Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine?

And then compare to my old-school squash shoes from Keds that I bought a couple years ago using a gift card from Dillards:

Superior shoes at an unbeatable price

Good call, Tam, on picking a shoe that would attract me. Fortunately, aside from the laughably non-Operation Cheap Ass compatible price tag of $50, I can also look at those shoes and say, My shoes are a little bit more olive green than those, so... they are also more grown up looking than the others, so... they are just a little bit more attractive than the shoes from Patagonia, so...
(I apologize if you have not seen the Saturday Night Live skit with the demonstrative woman who continuously attempts to upstage and outdo every person she meets in an increasingly ridiculous way and thus have no idea what I'm talking about. I would point to the Youtube video but I don't know how to identify it. Any ideas, Tam?)

1 comment:

Tam said...

What's funny is that on the Patagonia web site, those shoes were advertised at the truly ridiculous price of $90 per pair. And I thought $50 (the in-store price) was absurd for tennis shoes!

I am saved from buying every single thing they sell at Patagonia (I am a total sucker for outdoors-oriented clothing) by the fact that (a) the prices are ludicrously high, and (b) they don't carry most things in my size.

I did manage to avoid buying an even nicer hiking hat that was $35.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find that SNL skit on YouTube, and I've looked twice now. Either nobody has posted it or they haven't identified it in a way that allows me to find it amongst all the other SNL skits, SNL skit parodies, SNL skit recreations, etc., from the past 30+ years.