Sunday, June 3, 2007

British Psychological Society Research Digest Blog

I just refound my bookmark to this blog in the Great Work Computer Shift of May 2007. If you are interested in psychological research, this is a great place for brief descriptions of recently published articles and links to the source material.

I enjoyed reading this post - it's about a study in which adults (college undergraduates, technically) were unable to distinguish when children were telling fabricated stories or real ones. (I will leave criticism of the experiment as an exercise for the reader.) This caught my eye because of how frequently one encounters people who think that their children don't lie. This research is consistent with my own experience-based (not data-based) sense that kids lie all the time and do so well enough that adults often don't have a clue. Of course, I was primed to catch on to this by the fact that my sister was such an egregious and effective liar as a child. She was scary, scary good at it. She probably still is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Sal, I don't lie anymore... perhaps I was too good at it as a child, but somewhere along the way honesty became very important to me. Telling the truth is less stressful anyway. :)

Tam said...

Yeah, but you could still be good at it, couldn't you? Or are you too out of practice? :)