Saturday, May 26, 2018

Rabbit Actors

#NatureTwinning Part 56

Immature Gull--Wednesday, 4/25/18

It was so handy when I figured out that I can wear these cardigan vests (this cream one and the mint one) open instead of mandatorily fastened closed.  When closed, the neckline interfered with some necklaces, like this big-ass statement necklace that lays a little lower on the chest.

Burgundy, cream, and navy are a nice set of colors, even if I don't have an item to tie them together.  But I'm not afraid of a little color-blocking.

I'm still wearing these straight leg colored-denim jeans to work as if they're classic cotton chinos and loving the comfort and ease (look ma, no wrinkles!) of it.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $15.74


I asked Google to identify this image, and it said: "Are you f-ing kidding me?  It's an immature gull.  How the hell should I know what kind?  Do I look like Martin Reid [a birding friend of Robert's grandmother who was obsessed with gulls and liked to call to tell her that he had an amazing gull to show her, a second-basic hybrid of the blah blah and blah di blah, etc.] to you?"

No, actually, it said that it's a European Herring Gull, which is probably not true of a wild bird in southern California.  But looking at Martin's photos of late second/third cycle American Herring Gulls, I'm wondering if Google came kind of close on this one.

I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but I enjoyed this photo essay on herring gull plumages across the four years it takes for a gull to reach maturity.

Upper Newport Bay

Lion Tongue--Thursday, 4/26/18

I wore this with a black polka dot blazer over it to work, but I knew it would be a warm enough day (high of 59 F) that I wouldn't wear it long, so I photographed the outfit without it.  Very simple, but I thought the two-textured shoes (a soft, slightly plush grey fabric + black ribbon) and the cute silky cat scarf made it interesting.

OCPW: $9.79


Although the specific licking-tongue expression demonstrated below is not covered, this 1-pager on how to read lion expressions is amusing.

Henry Doorly Zoo

In other news...The hardest part about Hamilbun is the casting.  In terms of work stamina, rabbit actors are a bit like very young child actors, only worse.  Their attention span is short, and after a few minutes on stage, they have a strong tendency to flop when they should hop and vice versa.  So this means that casting a play with bunnies involves finding not one actor to play a role, or even a couple child actors to play a role (usually twins), but many, many similar-looking actors.  Luckily, I know a lot of rabbits, but it's still going to be tough!

No wonder the new Netflix Watership Down miniseries is going to be animated.  (By the way, that was supposed to come out in 2017--what's going on?  Are even cartoon bunnies that hard to work with?)

2 comments:

Tam said...

Nice mlem on that lion!

Sally said...

Wasn't it? LOVE.