Thursday, May 24, 2018

The Beginning of Pants Season

#NatureTwinning Part 55

African Spurred Tortoise at African Grasslands--Monday, 4/23/18

How nice is it to introduce Pants Season with a no-socks look?  These smoking slippers provide pretty good coverage, but still, it's a major improvement to be able to expose any foot at all to the elements without risk of freezing.  It's the end of Tights Season and the end of Mandatory Socks season!

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $9.53


This was a magnificent one to watch in action.  It's the third-largest tortoise in the world, with adult weights up to 230 pounds.

Do you know the differences between a tortoise and a turtle?

I know that Robert knows because when I use "turtle" as a general term, he will correct me when it's really a tortoise. 

I now feel totally vindicated, however, as I read that "in North America, all chelonians are commonly called turtles....The American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists uses "turtle" to describe all species of the order Testudines, regardless of whether they are land-dwelling or sea-dwelling, and uses "tortoise" as a more specific term for slow-moving terrestrial species."

It's interesting that the terms Chelonii and Testudines are both used as the scientific name for the order to which these animals belong.  (OK, and Chelonia and Testudinata, apparently.)

Henry Doorly Zoo

Golden-Headed Lion Tamarin--Tuesday, 4/24/18

Wearing white, navy, and coral is very much a Get Your Spring On combination to me.  I mean, I absolutely would wear it any time of year, but it feels most right in the warmer months.

OCPW: $15.12


They named both Cincinnati (sorry, inside joke) and the golden-headed lion tamarin after Tam.

Cincinnati Zoo

In other news...This article describes some of the changing to the housing market being driven by the increase in retirees.  Meanwhile, this one shows a map of the most and least expensive places to live in America, where I didn't see any big surprises.

2 comments:

Jen M. said...

Every time I see one of those maps I'm like, We're #1! We're #1! Oh wait, that's bad... 😭

Sally said...

Hahaha!