Sunday, May 13, 2018

Ding an Sich

#NatureTwinning Part 51

Butterfly and Bee on Coneflower--Thursday, 4/5/18

This scarf has so many nice neutrals in it, but not much in the way of a proper brown, so naturally I had to wear it with brown pants.  Luckily when you wear a bright pink velvet blazer and a showy butterfly scarf, nobody notices your pants.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $13.83


Coneflowers are among my favorite flowers.  They are so big and vibrant and bold and simple.  And insects love them, too.

Coneflowers are the genus Echinacea, from the Greek for "hedgehog" (referring to the spiny center).  Yes, that's the Echinacea that is the stuff of herbal remedies for the common cold.  I don't know about that, but I find they are a palative for winteritis, a malady of northern climes.

Missouri Botanical Garden

Orange Clownfish and Bubble Tip Anemone--Monday, 4/9/18

This is what happens when you wear a bunch of things in different shades of blue.  I can't tell if it's a disaster or what.  I was kind of losing my sweater + vest + scarf mojo at this late point in the winter, I think.  I did like the skirt and boot combination, though.

OCPW: $11.49


The symbiotic relationship between anemone and anemonefish (clownfish) is one of the cooler things in nature.  Somebody should make a movie about a clownfish.

Did you know that clownfish are sequential hermaphrodites?  They develop into males first, and when they mature, they become females.  Makes a lot of sense.

Newport Aquarium

Cheetah--Tuesday, 4/10/18

A sister to the inexpensive Walmart.com white skirt, this mauve skirt fit well with black and various shades of grey for a little peek of spring to come.

*Mauve skirt (Walmart), $5.50

OCPW: $12.69


You might want to be more careful about a cheetah springing into your car.  This video of a dude frozen in place while a young cheetah investigated the backseat of the vehicle was a classic.  My favorite line: "Luckily the cheetah lurking behind him minded his business and eventually left to eat a gazelle."

Cincinnati Zoo

In other news...The part of this article about "surviving your 40s" (an ill-chosen headline, actually) that resonated the most with me was the uncomfortable realization that I'm the grown-up.

Indeed, the strangest part of the 40s is that we’re now the ones attending parent-teacher conferences and cooking the turkey on Thanksgiving. These days, when I think, “Someone should really do something about that,” I realize with alarm that that “someone” is me.

Yeah, that's a scary feeling for me too!

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Yeah, I remember the time I realized that once all the wise ones who survived the Depression were gone, young people would be stuck looking up to people like me.

Jen M. said...

Isn't it weird how you don't really feel older as you get older? More confident, skilled at certain things, etc, but the same basic person I always was.

Sally said...

Debbie, maybe we do get wiser....eventually?

Jen, yeah, the main difference I've noticed is that I am emotionally less turbulent.

Still not ready to be in charge of Thanksgiving, though! ;)

Mom said...

I’m ready to pass the baton where holiday meals are concerned. Hopefully, Jennifer is up to the task!

Sally said...

Haha, it's a fine tradition...the passing down of holiday meal responsibilities to the next generation.