Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sneaking into February

Whew.  I'm finally starting to catch up.  I am writing a series of these outfits posts all on one day (Feb 5) with the plan to post them over a period of time.  I'm not very sleepy tonight, so I guess I'll just finish up all the photos I have!

The Poor Man's Vest -- 1/28/14

Sometimes when I'm lying in bed waiting to fall asleep, I think about what I want to wear the next day.  I knew I wanted to wear this jacket, but with the frigid temps, just a shirt underneath wouldn't be quite warm enough.  Oh, well I guess I can put a t-shirt on underneath a woven shirt, but I knew I didn't have a woven shirt that would look quite right (yes, I currently do not own a classic white woven button-up shirt).  Too bad I don't have a purple vest to put over a blue shirt (of which I have several, and which would pick up the subtle blue threads in the jacket).  But wait, what if I wore a purple t-shirt over the woven shirt to simulate a vest?  Would that be completely insane?

Well, I'll let you form your own opinion about that, but I loved it and will be using this trick again.


New items:
**Light blue button up shirt (thrifted)
**Purple striped jacket (thrifted)

And for fun, I juxtaposed the t-shirt vest with a string of pearls.  I was pleased with the combination. 


More 88 Cent Pants -- 2/3/14

And another combination of magenta/purple and blue.  OK.  Anyway, I was also super happy to find a pair of navy pants -- it's pretty easy to find black, but blue, despite being a classic "business" color, is difficult to find...even paying full price.  So to find a pair that fit for 88 cents was very cool.

I thought this outfit had a fair amount of dowdiness potential, but I think the cute shoes tipped the balance for me.


New item:
**Navy blue pants (thrifted - 88 cents)

Cooking Day Means...Oh You Know This One -- 2/4/14

I had initially planned to wear a (three-quarter length sleeve) woven shirt and cardigan combo, but I decided not to push my dry and irritated skin that far yet.  (My arms are doing really well with the steroid cream, but I wasn't sure they were up for contact with stiff fabric.)  So I found this softer shirt that I bought at the 88 cent sale.  (My aunt K. said, Oh wow, I have this exact shirt.  Hah.)

I didn't wear the jacket while cooking because the oven was producing a lot of heat.  But afterwards, with the residual heat still keeping things at above-Skyrim temperatures, the lightweight jacket was a warm enough topper even downstairs.

Anyway, I was glad of the chance to try out another pair of shoes I got at a local Goodwill.  I love this mannish oxford type of shoe but didn't own any until I scored this pair -- I have tried and liked shoes by Munro American through zappos.com but haven't kept any yet at those prices.  But at thrift prices, I'm all over them.  The main body of the shoe is a matte leather but the top is suede -- I like that kind of "mixed media" thing in clothing and shoes.


New items:
**Flouncy top (thrifted - 88 cents)
**Black oxford shoes (thrifted; Munro American)

A Dress is Like a Skirt Only Better -- 2/5/14

This is really a warm weather dress.  It's got 3/4 length sleeves and a pretty deep scoop neck both in front and back.  But button up a cardigan sweater, top it with a scarf, and stick some leggings underneath and it works pretty well for staying indoors in February.

I like how when you put something totally on top of a dress, it's like you're wearing a skirt, only with a shirt that is magically perfectly smooth and never comes untucked or pulls awkwardly or shifts around weirdly or any of that annoying shit that makes me grumpy when I try to tuck a shirt into a skirt.


New items:
**Grey patterned dress (thrifted; Old Navy)
**Grey leggings from Kohl's

No comments: