Thursday, February 27, 2014

February Fashion: Part 3

Alice as a Vest -- 2/17/14

I liked the t-shirt as vest idea so well I decided to try it with my beloved Alice t-shirt, to see if I could get her into the rotation even during the serious winter weather.  My verdict?  Love it.


New item:
**Pink button up shirt (thrifted, Liz Claiborne)

Wait!  Is That a Real Vest? -- 2/18/14

Yes, and it only cost 88 cents at my mom's thrift store.  Sweet, eh?  A white shirt seems like the obvious thing to wear with it, but I still don't have one, so I tested out this stripey number.


And I found a good time to wear this pretty blue necklace for the first time, too.


New items:
**Blue sweater vest (thrifted)
**Green and blue striped button up shirt (thrifted)
**Light blue necklace from Jones New York

Banded Bottom Top -- 2/20/14

About 20-25 year ago, upon looking at some horrible Donnkenny brand shirts at the store, my mom made me promise that if she ever started to buy ugly, old-lady knit shirts with a banded bottom to create the blouson effect, I should intervene immediately and save her from herself.  (Note: at the time of this conversation, my mom was probably about the age I am now.  WTH?!)

Here's a pretty good example of the thing.  Bad pastels, icky embroidery.  The words "World's Best Grandma!" could be added with complete stylist congruity.  Definitely to be avoided.

So imagine my surprise when I am the first one to succumb to a banded bottom top.  But this one is cute, I swear.  See for yourself.

I decided to go for a very subtle effect with my necklace choice -- perhaps too subtle to even be noticeable, but I liked it.


New items:
**Navy flower blouse (thrifted, The Limited)
**Pearly necklace from Kohl's

Some Days You Just Want Easy -- 2/23/14

Wear a long-sleeved t-shirt, jeans, and a scarf.  Add shoes that you can wear on the snowy, slippery sidewalks when you go to the library and to get your hair cut and you are done.

I'm still hitting about 80% on new hairdressers making the (rather surprised) observation, This is your natural hair color, isn't it.  Even in Snow City, with a lot of residents of Scandinavian descent, it's still rather unusual for 40 year old women to have naturally blonde hair.  I've found it interesting that the proportion of adult white women with blonde hair is lower in Snow City than anywhere else I've lived.  I guess women here do not gravitate to the dyed blonde look that is so common in the south.  (To say nothing of the dyed blonde hair + fake tanned skin combination that was so freakishly common in North Carolina.)


New items: none

Subtle Pattern Mixing -- 2/24/14

I decided to wear the maroon sweater with 3/4 length sleeves for cooking Robert's enchilada casserole and just put other stuff on with it.  I like how the chevron pattern of the jacket and animal print of the shoes work together.  (Yeah, chevron -- it suddenly occurred to me after how many wears that this is the word to describe this jacket's pattern.)

I also finally figured out that wearing a black t-shirt instead of white under this sweater makes a hell of a lot of sense (esp. with black jeans).


New items: none

6 comments:

jen said...

That's funny. I have a couple banded bottom tops myself. But more like yours and less like granny's. :)

Debbie M said...

I remember one of my friends once asking if we would start liking all-polyester outfits (with the crease sewn into the pants) when we got old. I thought about it and decided, no, we'll probably keep wearing what we're wearing now. But the young folks will feel the same way about our jeans and t-shirts and sneakers as we feel about our grandparents' polyester suits.

Though actually I know my Grandma Miller switched over to polyester pant suits when they were invented because she loved not ironing. So who knows.

Now it's 20 years later, and I think my theory is holding. The pants I like are called "Mom pants," for example.

Sally said...

Debbie - yes, my mom's mom switched to polyester for the same reason. I can see how your theory could easily play out, though I do wonder whether there are changes that occur with aging (e.g., the embracing of the elastic waisted pants that might accompany tummy weight gain as one gets older).

jen said...

I saw my hair stylist today for my highlights, and even though I haven't seen her for a few years while I was in NYC... she asked if your hair is still naturally blonde!

Debbie M said...

My clothes are already pretty comfortable. Well, I did switch to wearing sneakers at work. They are black leather sneakers, so at least there's a bit of camouflage.

Sally said...

Jen -- your stylist has a good memory! (I guess naturally blonde hair is also memorable.)

Debbie -- starting from a comfy spot does make the shifts more subtle, for sure.