Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Too Late

One problem with the "put something on your list for 30 days before you buy it" idea is that things aren't always still available 30 days later. While the iPhone, the Kindle, the Wii, and the Ferrari aren't going anywhere, clothing seems to disappear almost immediately.

I went to Target on Sunday evening to buy an aquamarine dress that I had seen there two weeks earlier, when Robert and I were picking up a few items of beach wear for our vacation, and it was not available in my size in any color. Just now I got the brilliant idea to look online, but they don't have it in my size anymore.

For $20, I should have just bought it when I first saw it, but, ironically, I was concerned at the time that I might be falling into shopping momentum so I didn't. (To be fair, I was not, however, adhering to the 30 day rule. I planned to go back and look at it again after my trip, and it just took me a while to get to the store.)

In other news, I challenged myself today to get rid of (i.e. set aside to donate) sort of arbitrary (but low) numbers of items from various categories from my wardrobe. I met all my targets and actually over-achieved on t-shirts - I got rid of about 5 instead of 3. I struggled a bit looking at my shoes until I remembered that the gorgeous red mary janes that I used to wear comfortably to work tore the backs of my heels into bloody messes when I wore them a couple months ago to school and walked around in them all day without socks. Since they look stupid in socks, this is not workable. I also put aside a green bomber jacket I have owned since I was 15. Yikes.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I waited too long to buy a filing cabinet that is now no longer made and also not available online. It was probably about two months. I'm now realizing that what made me notice the filing cabinets to begin with may have been that they were on clearance.

Sally said...

Ach, yes, seeing something on clearance is a signal you probably need to act relatively quickly.

I have a two-drawer filing cabinet of which the top drawer functions basically like a box I toss papers into, thus using an archaeological approach to information management.

jen said...

I bought up several pairs (ok, 5 total) of knit pants years ago from jcrew when I realized they were both totally awesome and on clearance. They've never come back, which is a shame, because they're finally starting to get worn out from wearing them almost daily (to/from/during dance/yoga or sleeping). On the other hand, I have a sizable amount of stuff I should really get rid of...

Sally said...

Jen, my super-cheap ($9) black canvas mary janes that I wear all the time are going to make it through this, their second summer, but I don't know if they have a third left in them. Had I known how much I'd love them, I would have bought half a dozen pairs.