Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The NC Vogelpark

The first stop on our trip was Sylvan Heights Waterfowl Park, a nifty bird zoo that contained a lot more than just waterfowl.

In the visitor center, they had two guineafowl chicks that a docent removed from the cage for us (well, a little kid but I got in there) to pet. Soft.

I think my favorite bird was a toucan that swooped over to the front of his cage as soon as we came into his sight. If I had not seen him fly, I would have been tempted to believe that he was an animatronic bird. His bill looked like plastic, as did his eyes, the feathers around his eyes, and basically the entire bird. (This opinion was almost immediately stated again by a talkative but surprisingly un-annoying boy who joined us.) His movements seemed mechanical because they lacked fluidity as he tilted his head around and peered forward at us. I did not get a photograph of him because when I tried it (with my camera close to the wire of his cage), he attempted to snatch my camera with his bill and I jumped back several feet.

I have posted a bunch of photos on Facebook for your viewing pleasure, including several other favorites - scarlet ibis, white-cheeked whistling duck, and a kookaburra (the Australian kingfisher). Here is a photo to whet your appetite for lots of lovely birds.

I'm beautiful but shy
As a souvenir, I picked out a refrigerator magnet...of a rabbit. I mean, nothing says bird zoo like a bunny, right? (Robert got a magnet with waterfowl on it, so we're good.)

No comments: