Thursday, April 1, 2010

Survived the Week

Today's stats test took 2 hours, 45 minutes. I believe this is a record short completion time in stats for me so far in grad school. The material really did feel easier than what we've done before, but I think that's because (1) I've used regression a fair bit in the past, and though I wasn't always familiar with the underlying nuances, I am quite accustomed to setting up models and interpreting the output and (2) I am now on my second semester of teaching some of this same material in the undergrad stats course (at a more basic level, but still).

The multilevel modeling material was challenging to study, but I kept going over it (including writing things down over and over, a technique I find crazily helpful, particularly with anything mathematical) and eventually, it clicked. I think drawing pictures was key to my understanding, as was making up examples of increasing complexity and forcing myself to work through them. The questions on the exam were very straightforward and friendly compared to the nasty ones I made up last night.

My next major deadline is getting a presentation together to share my research with the social lab group. I need to spend time on that and a seminar paper this weekend, which is a blissful 3 days long!

I also want to report that today is the first truly "warm" day we've had in W-S this year (in the low 80's). I came home from school at about 5 and took a cold shower. It's time to find my other wardrobe.

I offer these two perspectives on my dinner (these are photos from last week, but I had the same dinner again tonight).

A vomiting Pacman:

I shouldn't have eaten so much spinach!

But that kind of grossed me out, so I played with it again for a more appealing image.

The protagonist from The Missing Piece chillin' on a sea of grass:

Sally ate my missing piece but that's OK
The Missing Piece came up during personality class a couple weeks ago when the professor made reference to somebody finding their missing piece and being fulfilled. I said, "But I think in the actual The Missing Piece, he lets the piece go again." The professor didn't believe me because it is only logical that a story like that would have a upbeat ending of the two pieces living happily together forever. "Yeah, that makes sense, but I think the book doesn't take things that direction. I could be wrong, but I really think he lets the piece go." Of course, as you can see from the youtube video, I'm right. The 1992 state American literature champion still knows (some of) her shit.

No comments: