Monday, April 19, 2010

Personality Word Cloud

After putting in some really solid work this weekend, my personality seminar paper is written and printed out, ready to hand in tomorrow morning 2 and a half days before the deadline. I'm happy! This assignment was a little bit different - instead of a review paper, we had to design a study (based on one of the papers we read over the course of the semester) and write up an empirical paper pretending that we had conducted the study and analyzed the results. (We had to present two sets of results - those that we hypothesized and some that we hadn't.)

Here's a word cloud level description. Note that "ETS" means experiential thinking style and "RTS" means rational thinking style. "MF" means message frame, i.e. whether the persuasive message the individual read was experientially-framed or rationally-framed. (By framing, I mean whether the message used language like "I feel" and "intuition" and "impression" versus "I think" and "logic" and "evidence".)

In my experience, rational thinking is better
Tomorrow, my students turn in their research reports, so now that I have finished writing my own empirical paper, I have hours of empirical paper grading fun ahead of me.

3 comments:

Tam said...

So now the big question: how many of your students will have also pretended to have carried out research?

rvman said...

Odd, I hadn't noticed before that the word-cloud function treats capitalized words separately from the same word in the body of the sentence. For example, "Experiential" and "experiential" are separated in the cloud, as are "Thinking" and "thinking".

Sally said...

Tam, it's easy because everybody had to use the same data set. Faking the results would be harder than reporting the real ones.

RVman, yeah, it's kind of odd.