Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Where Am I?

Walking down the hall today from my office to the bathroom, I was surprised and confused when I heard a bunch of students (undergrads) talking on the floor below, then I remembered, "Oh, right, this isn't merely my place of work; it's a building with rooms for students to come take classes in." (I take classes in the building, too, of course, but they feel enough like work meetings I have to prepare for that it trips me up.)

It's actually a pretty building. This is the atrium. My office is on the 4th floor (the lower of the two in this photo).

1 comment:

rvman said...

I never had that problem, but at ATM the first floor (where all the classrooms are) feels very different from the third (where the Econ offices were). When I passed through the doorway from the Econ area to the main part of the building, there is an immediate change of sense - from a dark, quiet, enclosed, corridor to a very loud, white, open space.

At UNT, it was more that the office space just felt more like school-space than that there was a transition. My first job was as tutor in the Econ lab, which was in amongst the faculty offices, so the area was crawling with undergrads constantly. When teaching, my office was very near the lab and there was a student computer lab right down the hall, so there was always this feeling of constant student activity.