Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Appropriately Named Food?

Though I've been doing a reasonable amount of cooking these last weeks, I've also been stocking up on frozen dinners for emergency meals, like I had this evening at 7:00 p.m. (These evening I've been struggling my way through figuring out how to write a reaction paper on a neuropsychology article that I understand but that does not inspire me with other ideas, so I ate later than usual. I still am short on ideas, but at least I'm now feeling dumb on a full stomach.)

This weekend, I got a few Lean Cuisines that were on sale. I typically purchase Asian style meals because they are reliably free of cheese, which I find almost always disgusting in the context of a frozen dinner. Tonight, I had one with beef strips, wide noodles, pea pods, red bell pepper strips, and water chestnuts in a brown, mildly spicy sauce.

And while I am not sure that it actually fully delivered "Beef Chow Fun," it tasted pretty good. None of my great-grandmothers would have recognized this as food in the sense that it had weird chemical ingredients and included unfamiliar ingredients, but I think they would have been able to tell from the smell that it was edible. They certainly would have appreciated the fact that it took less than 6 minutes to get from freezer to table, and I spent most of that 6 minutes unloading and loading the dishwasher, another unrecognizable sight that would nevertheless have struck them full of wonder and appreciation.

3 comments:

Tam said...

Obviously I don't approve. You should have traveled to the local farmer's market (I'll let you off the hook for growing your own vegetables since you only recently arrived, but I assume you're laying in the appropriate seasonal crop), chosen fresh, wholesome ingredients, and prepared them yourself. Preferably in a cauldron.

Sally said...

Last night I made a recipe of mostly recognizable things -- somebody's else's great grandmother would be familiar with the green chiles. I'm not sure whole wheat pasta is that familiar but should be recognizable. I now have 6 days worth of chili mac, to which I say, yum.

No cauldron was used in the cooking of this food, though. Nor a wood fire.

rvman said...

The Dutch oven is reasonably old-school.