Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Recreational Reading

I checked out Anna Karenina from the school library last week, finally succumbing to Tam's urging that I simply must read this book. Fortunately grad students get to keep library books for three months because I am making progress along the lines of a handful of pages per day and this is not a short book. (Note: this handful is a number that can be counted on hand, so 1-5.)

This week I watched the movie Scenes from a Marriage (by Ingmar Bergman) and strongly recommend it to Tam if she hasn't seen it already - it's a must for people interested in complex adult relationships.

3 comments:

mom said...

Sally, your Dad taught Anna Karenina to his high school English students first year of teaching. After starting the book he was surprised that the school even had the books. He concluded that no one knew what the book was really about - just that it was a classic.

Sally said...

Mom - lol

Right, it was written by some famous dead Russian guy; it's gotta be safe, boring literature.

Tam said...

Man, did I ever love that book. I am jealous of you getting to read it for the first time, even a few pages at a time. I hope you enjoy it.

I will check out the movie, which I have indeed not seen.