Monday, August 31, 2009

Weather Wonder

Today's forecast:

Chance of precipitation: 100%. (Expected all morning and most of the afternoon.)

High temperature: 65 degrees. (Just about the same all day.)

What? I stand on the balcony. OK, it is indeed raining right now. And apparently 65 degrees is a temperature at which it is comfortable to wear long pants. This is all very confusing. Did I pull a Rip van Winkle? It's still August, right?

As for the rain: thankfully the drive to school is only about 3 minutes and extremely familiar since I discovered on Friday night that driving home in the dark, in the rain, from a place you've only been to once (when you drove there that same day), that involves taking a lot of weird unfamiliar streets, when both your windshield wiper blades and your windshield wipers themselves are dysfunctional (as in: the blades are in such poor condition that they only smear the rain rather than clear it and the wipers tend to stop & stick in the middle of the windshield for no obvious reason) is scary and objectively dangerous. I had to drive home from the party with my window down and my head sometimes half sticking out in order to have any idea where the street was. Seeing the street signs in this condition was extremely challenging.

It is interesting (or something) that all aspects of my windshield wiper process are broken now. For a couple of months (or more, I forget) I have been unable to spray windshield wiper fluid onto the glass, which was annoying enough. At least replacing the blades should be pretty easy. I definitely need to get some RainX. (I got spoiled all those years I was able to use the RainX windshield wiper fluid and not have to do the tedious hand-application, but it really is time to buck it up.)

4 comments:

rvman said...

It has been considerably more than a couple of months since the washers went out. I'm pretty sure it has been more on the range of 6 months. I know you didn't have washers when you were going to TSU last spring.

Tam said...

Surely the blades and wipers can at least be replaced or repaired, if not the washer parts (though, why not?) I'm not sure if it snows there, but you'll need working wipers for it if it does :-)

It's gotten deliciously cool here as well. I had to close my bedroom window at 2AM when it got decidedly chilly in the room.

Tam said...

(Um, not to imply that you don't know about wiper blades in the snow or anything...)

rvman said...

They (new blades) are either in the back seat or the trunk - I bought them a couple of days before I left last time, but I didn't remember to install them before I left.