Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chinese Menu

This week I got my first restaurant menu stuck through my door, for a nearby Chinese restaurant. It was pretty much like any other such menu except for the curious information on the right-hand side of the front page.



I'm familiar with New York Style pizza, but I really don't have a conception of what "Authentic Health Food - New York Style" means, particularly in the context of Chinese takeout. Add the logo of pandas eating bamboo (which is healthy for pandas, of course) and it's even more confusing.

I'm glad they let us know that the food is authentically healthy because it can't be authentically Chinese - an admittedly cursory look over the menu revealed no spelling or grammatical errors in the English. The closest I found was the item "Chicken with Mix Vegetable," while typically this was written "Mixed Vegs." I was fond of the description of "Shrimp & Scallops in Garlic Sc.": "Always a smashing hit."

1 comment:

Sally said...

Jen, that's a good thought!