Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tam on Food

This title makes me think of the "your brain on drugs" commercials.

Anyway, Tam's got good content on Alethiography this week about why she picks organic food - a topic obviously of no interest to me, but perhaps others care ;) - and her thoughts on the book In Defense of Food. I personally have been too mentally lazy to comment on these interesting posts, but I encourage you to read them. Neat stuff.

Note: I got my university ID today, which means I can start checking out books! In Defense of Food is checked out until the end of this month, so it may be a while until I get around to reading it, but I am looking forward to comparing notes on this book as well as The End of Overeating, which every other person on the planet has read already.

OK, I am now just getting crazily enthused about all the awesomeness of having a college library so close to my apartment. I am going to spend some time on their website now, checking out all the cool features. I'm especially curious how the hold system works, since Austin Public Library sucked so hard with their 5 item hold maximum. (By contrast, Tulsa County Public Library allows the customer to manage a Netflix-like list of books and other media which looks really nice.)

At the TA training, the director of the library came in briefly to tell us about some of the things available to us as grad students and TA's. One of her brochures listed the subject area expert librarians for all the different disciplines and I thought, man, if this whole getting my PhD thing doesn't work out and yet I could stand the idea of yet more school, getting an MLS and becoming a university research librarian would be a lot more interesting (in prospect) than becoming a teacher. Of course, realistically, it seems that I am more likely to just take the psychology masters degree and return to the market research industry making more money. And who knows, maybe those cool-sounding library jobs are hard to get without a PhD.

1 comment:

Tam said...

The End of Overeating semi-accurately, to my mind, describes the problems that are leading to societal obesity, but didn't leave me very hopeful about solving said problems, even for myself. In Defense of Food seemed much more inspirational and actually might cause me to eat [a little] better. They are definitely two views of the same elephant, IMO.