Friday, August 14, 2009

Home

I am completely unpacked. Even the art is up on the walls. (I have a lot of art.) My landline telephone is connected and my wireless Internet is functioning. I have groceries in my kitchen. Robert has just finished assembling my new file cabinet.

It is 4:20 p.m. and 86 degrees outside.

I am slowly learning how to navigate to various places in town, though my dad said that my earlier comments on how screwy the streets are in W-S were an understatement. For instance, figuring out that something is at the corner of X St and Y St doesn't help as much as it should since Y St curves around and intersects X St twice. There are also a lot of weird exits that are not precisely cloverleafs but some other kind of shape that was not covered in my math courses to date and that require memorization of counter-intuitive processes like exiting left when you want to go to the right. Major intersections aren't marked, perhaps with the assumption that everybody must know what these streets are. Streets change names all the time, and though this occasionally makes for an easy mnemonic device, it's usually just source of confusion. But the drive to campus takes approximately 2 minutes.

Next week, I will be pretty busy. The week after that, school starts and I will be even busier.

I miss Leo. A lot.

2 comments:

Jen M. said...

I'm sure Leo misses you too -- but not the cross-country journey. Have fun settling in before life gets crazy! :)

Tam said...

I love that your drive to campus is negligible. That's going to rock.