Friday, July 17, 2009

Microwave Oven

(It's important that you read the title as the line from Dire Strait's "Money for Nothing." This is a significant cultural touchstone for us MTV brats.)

One sort of odd thing my new apartment doesn't have is a built-in microwave oven. The newer property owned by the same company does, but not the complex I am going to be living in. I got very spoiled having the microwave in this apartment that is over the stove and doesn't take up counter space (though this kitchen has counter space to spare, really).

Fortunately, I never actually managed to do anything with my old microwave that I had in my previous apartment and that has been riding in the trunk of my car for, like, years now. I mean, several years. It's pretty much insane, but yeah, an amazing percentage of my total trunk space has been used to store an unnecessary kitchen appliance.

Today, we got the microwave out of the trunk and tried it out. It appears to still be in good working condition, so I already have a microwave for my new apartment. While I'm kind of chuffed not to have to purchase a new one, at the same time, it's completely stupid that I still have the thing. It's just a normal microwave.

I seriously do not recommend that you try this yourself because even when holding on to some old thing like this ends up working in your favor, which is rare enough, it still makes you feel like an idiot.

Surprisingly, it hasn't been in the trunk because I planned to give it away at Goodwill and was too lazy to ever go there. Or at least, that wasn't the case at first. Initially, I had intended to take it into my office at my job I quit two years ago because the microwave in our area had died. But I was too lazy to bring it up from the car into the office for a while and somebody purchased and brought in a newer, fancier microwave.

What's the weirdest thing that ever lived in your car for a silly length of time?

2 comments:

Tam said...

Try the log that Ed and I bought for his sister's wedding. It turned out to be an unneeded backup log, but it stayed there for a bunch of weeks.

I've had stupid things sit in my car for far longer, but none quite that stupid.

Sally said...

I think the extra wedding log trumps the microwave.