Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Camo T-Shirt

I wanted to do another of the shirts with the v-neck band across the front, but I have run out of t-shirts large enough for the pattern to fit while avoiding undesirable logos. I did, however, have two camo Expo t-shirts of identical camo design (Mossy Oaks Forest Floor) with enough fabric between them. I was able to fit the large front pattern piece on the largest clear area of one of the shirts, but not the back pattern piece, so I sewed two pieces of fabric together (top and bottom, not side by side) and cut the back from that. I also didn't have any good fabric for the contrasting bands, so, in the spirit of camo, I made the bands from the same fabric.

And because I have more than enough sleeveless shirts already, I decided to try the short-sleeved version. I also modified the pattern to add an extra inch of fabric at the waistline. That worked great, but I cut the shirt too long and had to put in my own hem - not a big deal, but more work.

Tada! (Sorry for the blurry photo)

Yes, I am ready for fall

It wasn't until I was completely done with the shirt that I noticed something that slayed me:

Can't believe I positioned the weird sleeves correctly
I don't know how well you can tell, but by utter accident (or fate), the seam on the back where I sewed the two pieces of fabric together lines up perfectly with the edge of the sleeve just before the cuff. I think this makes my cobbled-together version actually spiffier than if I had cut the back from a single piece of fabric.

Overall, I like how the different pieces of camo look sewn together. It's subtle but visually interesting. Of course, this is genuinely the best woodland birding shirt I have.

3 comments:

Tam said...

On this camo fabric, the way that the neck is cut makes it look kind of like scrubs to me, though the close fit at the sides pulls it back in the other direction.

Sally said...

Clearly I need to accessorize with a stethoscope then...

But seriously, hmm. That was not exactly the look I was going for.

mom said...

I like this shirt. The camo is really great!