Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Final US Stamp Book

I have spent the last few days getting my US stamp collection into shape, and it has taken a lot more time than I had expected. But I'm glad to report that my stamp book is now finalized. I have the pages through 2007, at which point my book officially ends. While I am still interested in filling in the missing stamps, I do not plan to continue collecting stamps of a vintage past 2007 (I already have a few that I have put on blank pages at the end of the book and can add to this), and in general, will not be actively seeking out the stamps I do not have, though obviously I will be happy to add in missing stamps when it's easy to do so. I have always been especially fond of collecting stamps that I (or someone I know) has gotten in the mail as actual postage.

Like many collectors, I long ago gave up on the idea of purchasing new US stamps each year as they are released. This was doable for a time, but with the ridiculous increase in the number of stamp releases each year, it became too expensive a proposition. It has been many years since I even bothered purchasing from the post office a selective subset of the available stamps for collection purposes because there are just too damn many.

I estimated the number of different stamps released each year by looking at the number of fillable spaces for individual stamps in my stamp book. Note that this may not reflect what most people think of as being "different stamps" because a single stamp design may be issued in multiple ways, all of which a person needs to collect in order for their collection to be complete. In recent years, one normal-looking flag stamp may come in nearly a dozen different flavors based on the number of perforations on the side of the stamp, booklet versus sheet versus single stamp, etc.


I was rather pissed when I realized that the 2002 "Greetings from [State]" series came out that year in both 34 and 37 cent versions. So that was 100 stamps right there.

I know the Internet has been hard on the postal service revenues, and it's natural that they would turn toward the idea of making more money off collectors, who will not, after all, even be requiring them to make good on the promise to ship stuff across the country. But we're bordering on Duchy of Grand Fenwick territory here.

All this being said, I really do wish I had the Star Wars stamps. That souvenir sheet is pretty cool-looking.

1 comment:

mom said...

I always try to buy commemorative stamps since they are so much more interesting than the flag stamps. I never did see the Star wars stamps. They are very cool.

On a different note, I found a book of forever stamps in a book I checked out of the library. At today's rates those stamps are worth around $8.00. Someone out there is wondering what happened to their stamps.