Saturday, July 25, 2009

Many Boxes

Last night, Robert and I bought a bunch of moving boxes (40+) for $50 from someone on Craigslist, a very sweet deal. The six wardrobe boxes alone would retail for more than that; the cheapest I have seen new is $8 per box. I don't know that I will need all of these boxes, but since Robert is moving also (to a smaller apartment closer to his job here in Austin if not NC immediately), I think it's a reasonable number.

Now most of the living room floor is covered with this huge stack of (broken-down) boxes. All I need is some bubblewrap and more boxing tape. I historically have hated packing, but it's been easier to think about and get started on this time; I suspect that the rush I'm getting from purging as I go has been a major motivator/reward. It's interesting that I have not experienced this merely as a sense of satisfaction driven by pragmatic concerns ("oh good, that's another set of stuff I won't have to deal with again in NC") but also the emotional state encapsulated in all those metaphors about lightness and freedom.

We'll see how I feel about it 20-something boxes from now.

3 comments:

Tam said...

I always pack books first, and somehow view that as a huge job, so that when I finish the books, I feel I have made a really substantial start. Then I start packing the other stuff and it is way more/worse/difficult than I imagined (since books are actually the very easiest thing to pack) and I get really discouraged. You will probably do some work steadily every day and that will help.

Jen M. said...

Good luck! The kitchen is the biggest job for us. When we've had movers pack for us (i.e. when our employer is paying) they always underestimate the number of gadgets a couple can have... but we need it all! ;)

Sally said...

Tam, uh oh. I am also in the position of having my books boxed. I can see I have a long row left to hoe here.

Jen, yeah, the kitchen is a source of dread, esp. since it involves deciding me keep vs. Robert keep vs. donate/trash. But man, you engineers and all your crazy tools! I at least do not have a bunch of applicances like pasta machine, espresso machine, or professional pizza oven, or specialty items like a half dozen different kinds of wine glasses for various varieties of wine. But damn, I do have a GIGANTIC FREEZER in the spare bedroom. Of course, that's a problem for the 7 foot tall guys who will be moving this stuff, not poor packing me.