Monday, June 22, 2009

Organic T

Some years ago, Robert had received a huge, unbleached organic cotton T-shirt from Slate magazine that had various things written on it in green - Treehugger, Slate, "I lost 5,000 pounds," etc. - that I found unwearable even if it hadn't been so large.

I turned it into a tank top using my easiest method: lining up a tank top to the bottom (already nicely-hemmed) of the shirt, cutting around, and sewing together. (I also added darts at the bust.) With careful positioning and scooping the neck, I was able to lose the writing on the front...except for the letter "I" at the shoulder that you can barely make out in the photo underneath the hand holding the camera. I jokingly called this the Anthem tank since "I" was the Unspeakable Word in the Ayn Rand story.

The Golden One models new shirt

I was not so lucky as to avoid the writing on the other side of the shirt, but I was not displeased with the message that was left, though it is true only of the shirt and not myself. I would not qualify as organic food under the USDA rules. (I wish it weren't off-center, but whatever. I'm rather off-center myself. The message positioning suggests that I am skewed a bit to the right.)

What's that cellular-looking blob?

No comments: