Friday, June 26, 2009

Idiotic Offer

Bank of America sent me junk mail exhorting me: "If you're going to spend, spend smart."(tm)

Their extra-special offer is that between now and Sept. 1, all "restaurant and entertainment" purchases on my credit card will qualify for a promotional APR of 1.99% rather than 10.99%.

So basically, if I spend money on restaurants, resorts, etc., that I cannot afford and hence am going to have to pay interest on, I can save a tiny amount of money on the interest. What an amazingly generous offer. "Why wait?" indeed. I should forget about staying home this summer. Clearly, I should take an expensive vacation to Hawaii or something so that I can "take advantage of the lower rate." At least, I assume that this is what they have in mind.

Alternatively, I can save even more by not spending money I don't even have on something as frivolous and optional as a summer vacation or local restaurant meals.

1 comment:

Tam said...

Since 1.9% is pretty low, clearly you should use the extra restaurant meals to fuel you towards higher productivity at work, and invest the proceeds into some kind of low-risk investment that would pay more than 1.9%

Voila!

I used to love the bank ads telling you that you could now use your home equity in the form of a credit card. Just what we need.