Friday, April 29, 2011

More Elitist Crap

I see Tam one Brooks Brothers ad and raise her one Patek Phillipe watch advertising campaign with the slogan "You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation."

When people tell me my son looks like me, I am nonconsciously relieved to hear evidence that is inconsistent with the boy being the chauffeur's bastard

I hate this campaign, which runs constantly in The Economist.  The two ads above aren't even the most annoying of the lot.  I think I hate the one with the woman and her daughter, who look like twins only Mom has been dieting extensively for a couple extra decades and has had more work done, the most.  Ah, here it is.

You can never be too rich or too thin or too prone to awkward, obviously-fake cross-generational synchronized giggling...and did I mention rich?

This whole buying your own heirloom vibe smacks of a weird and disgusting aspirational elitism.

1 comment:

Tam said...

Watches are one of those things where it really gets tempting to think that your possessions define, or should define, you. I find that is a pretty easy trap for me to fall into. (I guess it's not a trap so much as a decision/style/ethos I'd rather not have.)