Monday, May 9, 2011

This Week

Now that I'm totally finished with all my paperwork needed for graduation (which happens this weekend), I've been catching up on some things:

* Birding again - this time, the highlight was seeing several species of vireo.

* Picking Robert up from the accident he was in while driving to the community college to give his final exam (which didn't happen because it took us so long to get there).  It was a classic "person in front of you brakes suddenly so you crash into the back of them on the highway" situation.  Nobody was hurt, but his car is in a bad way.  My car gets to be the hero for a while, including our upcoming road trip to Snow City to find an apartment for the fall.

* Dealing with our new roommate Squeakers the mouse, who was extremely scared when Robert went into the pantry for his cereal box early Saturday morning.  Today the pest control people came to set up traps, and they said that it is getting to the end of mouse season (apparently, mice come inside more for warmth than food).

* Going through my own stuff and Robert's storage unit to find stuff to trash or donate.

* Putting together another crazy 60s / mod striped shirt (which I plan to finish tomorrow).

* Reading War and Peace.  Seriously.  I'm feeling kind of sick, currently have no access to a library, and by my recent (and near-future, like the next five or twelve years) standards, I have an unbelievable amount of time on my hands, so the timing is right for me to finally read it (Tam gave me her copy a while back).  This afternoon, I finished Part I.  It seems silly to say this about one of the great classic works of literature but it's really good - I mean, it's not just "good" in some kind of exalted sense but it's an enjoyable and compelling read.  I did not expect to find myself laughing out loud.

4 comments:

Dad said...

I read War & Peace in German and really enjoyed it, esp. the history of the war. Then I read it in French and I thought I would never finish it. I forgot how much the book was about unpractical aristocrats.
I never plan to read the book again in any language. Well, maybe I would read it in Russian.
Dad

Sally said...

Dad, I don't know yet whether I will read it again or not. I know very little about the war (we don't really study European history in school) so it's been interesting to learn something about it.

Jen M. said...

I love how not knowing a language isn't a deterrent for Dad in terms of whether he'll read a book (and not just any old book) in said language. Sally, glad you have a moment to breathe - enjoy it while you can! :)

Tam said...

I loved it until the epilogue (or whatever it is) ruined it for me. If I read it again I will definitely skip that. It's like the John Galt speech but more boring.