Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Countdown to April 15

While other Americans furiously try to finish their taxes, PhD program applicants are on pins and needles because tomorrow is the day when PhD acceptances become binding (i.e., you would need to get a release from the program if you wanted to attend elsewhere) and thus is the day people basically finalize where they are going.  I'm looking forward to the experiencing this excitement vicariously through the various online PhD forums I follow.

This evening, I got a call from the University of Mountains marketing program, where I interviewed several weeks ago but had not heard from again, wanting to update me on their situation and find out about mine.  It was extremely satisfying to be able to report that I have accepted a position at the University of Snow [a higher ranked program].  I mean, it's pretty satisfying to be able to say that to just about anyone, because I'm super happy about the situation, but it was especially satisfying given that I was clearly Mountain's third or fourth choice, who they're now having to talk to because one of their earlier choices has not yet given them a decision (and thus they're having to figure out their Plan B/C/etc.).  I don't mean to sound like I hold a grudge about them not selecting me first (the fit is not as ideal for either party) or that I think they mistreated me somehow with their silence since the interview.  That silence generally means you've been wait-listed, and it did in this instance as well.  But yeah, there was some small petty part of me that felt pleased to say I already have a date for the dance.

Thesis update: I'm printing out copies for my committee members tomorrow and hope to have my defense ASAP (it has to be a minimum of a week after they get the document so they have time to read, criticize, rip to shreds, mock, post embarrassing typos or logical inconsistencies from to their own blogs, etc.).  My advisor was satisfied with it after seeing only two drafts, which feels like a world record.

So what will I do with myself next week, as my committee chews at my thesis in preparation for the defense?  I want to spend some time tomorrow and over the weekend setting out a plan of action so that the time is not merely lost in a haze of reading crime fiction, playing Fate, and generally wasting time.  (Don't get me wrong - I love leisure time.  It's just that without taking some time to consider what I want to do, I will spend more time on idle junk leisure and less on interesting / useful / effortful leisure than I would prefer.)  One thing already lined up: grading research reports that are due from my lab students on Monday.

2 comments:

mom said...

You need to put "call mom" on your list of activities.

Sally said...

That one's always on the list!