Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Gaming

One thing I've enjoyed a lot this vacation week before my advisor gets back in town and we get serious about our work this summer is playing computer games. For several years now, I have been playing almost exclusively "casual" games, usually purchased through Yahoo (or PopCap or Big Fish).

Over the last two days, I've played (and finished) Bookworm Adventures for the second time, a game in which your little wormy protagonist fights baddies of all kinds by forming words from a replenishing 4x4 stock of letter tiles. Since finishing the main game, I've become a bit addicted to the mini-game that gives you 5 chances to guess a 5 letter word (first letter given), using gold and silver feedback to indicate correct letter in correct position and correct letter in incorrect position, respectively - it's a lot like the old Mastermind game I played in elementary school in that way. (My current record is 39 correct answers; I crashed on the shoals of "pudgy," I believe.)

I just saw from the Bookworm Adventures wiki page that there is a sequel with more lexical battle action. Bring it!

My mom got me hooked on hidden object games over the Christmas break (and at various times, I was playing with different combinations of my mom, my sister, and Robert - all of us turned out to have different strengths, which was fun) so I am also looking forward to spending the big $6.99 to get Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove.

(Hey, it could be worse - I could be playing that farm game on Facebook and messing up everyone's page with incessant updates on the progress of my olive grove or whatnot.)

Anybody have any game suggestions?

4 comments:

Tam said...

Hmm. I've been enjoying Backyard Monsters, also a Facebook game (though it is good about asking whether you want to brag to your friends or not, and the social aspects are minimal). It's kind of like Farmville only with monsters and fighting. But it doesn't sound like your thing.

mom said...

Enjoy Dire Grove. I really liked playing it. I also love playing Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook. The games are only 1 minute long, you just have to be careful that you don't keep playing for hours. We can play Scrabble on FB, too. I know I would lose, but it would be fun.

Jen M. said...

Rick has gotten me playing a bit of chess on the computer. It's hard enough I don't find myself playing for too long, which is a good thing. Classic game, plus it's free ;)

cartaufalous said...

I adore Plants vs. Zombies. It is somewhat addictive though.